Turbo Water pump part numbers for both styles + outlet hoses

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Turbo Water pump part numbers for both styles + outlet hoses

Post by ciper »

I had fun the last few days trying to get the correct water pump ordered. Listed are part numbers for new pumps in both styles. Remanufactured and hard to order parts are not included.

Pep Boys
Three nipple - Bosch 97122

Autozone
Two nipple - Duralast BWP-878
Three nipple - Duralast BWP-863

Oreilly
Two nipple - MasterPro CP9255
three nipple - Masterpro CP9215

Part numbers for the three correctly bent small hoses connected to the pump. Dayco brand(carried by Pep Boys)
70948, 71376 (or 71376cs), 71147

The thermostat gasket (oring) is Fel-Pro 35524
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: Turbo Water pump part numbers for both styles + outlet h

Post by ciper »

70948 is a small 90 degree bent hose and is not needed if you have no oil cooler and the water pump with only two nipples. Both ends must be trimmed. The side touching the water pump has to be extra short in order to clear the oil pump.

You have to cut both ends off the lower drivers side hose. Below is a picture which shows the partially cut 71147 with the old part laying on top.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Thanks for sharing the part #'s & info.

The issues you mentioned above is why I tend to buy OEM parts. Some of the aftermarket stuff is fine and fits well, but there's a lot that doesn't fit well.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Replaced the hose that goes from the top rear of the coolant tank to the top metal line on the turbo. Part 80395cs is similar but without all the seemingly unnecessary bends

jp233
Second Gear

Post by jp233 »

That 90 deg hose looks perfect to replace the hose from the trans into the cooler/radiator. I used some regular hose on one of my cars but the bend was a little kinked and it appears to have started leaking also. I was either going to find a 90 deg hose that was pre-bent, or just plumb it with a brass/metal 90 deg fitting from the depot. It has to fit right there with the coolant reservoir and space is key.
12 Outback 3.6R Limited
94 Leg LS wag AWD, sold
93 Leg L wag FWD, sold
06 LGT 5EAT, project
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Don't use hose that's meant for water/coolant on something that is meant for oil. The hose will eventually fail. Plus the trans lines operate at a higher pressure, so it would likely burst once the oil weakened the oil.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I agree not to use water hoses for petroleum. It will make it soft and eventually it wont be able to hold together. You have probably seen how motor oil makes the rubber seals on the timing belt cover expand like crazy.
To be nitpicky I dont think the pressure on the transmission cooling lines is higher than 19psi (the cooling system)

You can use petroleum hoses for coolant though

Most Pep Boys will let you rummage through the hoses if you ask someone to accompany you.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

ATF line pressure in the trans can range from around 64 - 82 psi at idle to 164 - 182 psi at the torque converter stall speed under full throttle conditions. Pressures are slightly higher in reverse gear, 85 - 100 psi at idle to 206 - 230 psi at at the torque converter stall speed under full throttle conditions.

The pressure going to the trans cooler may be a little less, but it's still more than double the pressure of the cooling system.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Those are pressures inside the transmission. The cooler line is a drain from the torque converter back to the pan. From what I know it is already after the high pressure area once it is inside of this line or we wouldn't be able to use regular hose and clamps. The only part of the torque converter that sees pressure is when the lockup solenoid opens to allow fluid down the center of the shaft. I can't remember where it goes after that (does it also go through the cooler?)
jp233
Second Gear

Post by jp233 »

Yeah, I was going to get oil/gas hose for sure, I just thought that 90 deg bend one WAS something that was oil/gas... didn't recognize that hose since I don't have a turbo car :)
12 Outback 3.6R Limited
94 Leg LS wag AWD, sold
93 Leg L wag FWD, sold
06 LGT 5EAT, project
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

ciper wrote:Those are pressures inside the transmission. The cooler line is a drain from the torque converter back to the pan. From what I know it is already after the high pressure area once it is inside of this line or we wouldn't be able to use regular hose and clamps. The only part of the torque converter that sees pressure is when the lockup solenoid opens to allow fluid down the center of the shaft. I can't remember where it goes after that (does it also go through the cooler?)
I'm not exactly sure where it goes. I haven't had one apart. There may be diagrams in the FSM, but I haven't looked through them.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT