Walbro 255lph Dead After Less Than Two Years

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

New92
Third Gear

Walbro 255lph Dead After Less Than Two Years

Post by New92 »

Well knowledgeables. like the thread title says, its dead. After once again falsely accusing my MAF of being toast. I had a buddy come over who exclaimed "Are you getting any fuel." To which I say, "Well of course I am. Its a new 255 fuel pump less than two years old!". And I was dead wrong. After lots of time wasting we pulled the pump and tested the power to the harness. Power was good. We then hooked up the pump to a 12v source and it was dead. No warning. No loud noises. Just failure. So, one odd thing I noticed was bright shiny and thin metal shavings in the fuel sock. Maybe 20 total fragments. Look in the tank with an LED and I see more of these treasures scattered about. Theyre thin and small, less than 1/8th long. But deff big enough to gum up the works. Im obviously gonna replace the fuel filter and pump. But my concern is twofold. 1) Where the heck did this foreign matter come from? And 2) how concerned should I be about that stuff being in the stock injectors? I have scoured around and cant find a plausible explanation as to where that crap may have come from. Any ideas?

As always, thanks for the help.

Ben
1992 SS 5MT
She's growing faster in her old age!
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Re: Walbro 255lph Dead After Less Than Two Years

Post by BSOD2600 »

Where did you get the walbro from? was it really new or slightly used?
In theory, the fuel filter will catch all the fragments. probably worthwhile to replace it too.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

I've heard reports of Walbro quality going downhill in the past few years, but both my Subaru and my Camaro are still trucking along! Both are about 3 years old now.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

If you can get one of those long magnetic wands and fish that stuff out. I would say it probably came from wherever you got your fuel unless it actually came from the little pump itself.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

BSOD2600 wrote:Where did you get the walbro from? was it really new or slightly used?
In theory, the fuel filter will catch all the fragments. probably worthwhile to replace it too.
Honestly I dont remember. It was a recommended site on here because at the time they were the cheapest one. Im def replacing the filter. But it appeared to be brand new, with the WRX kit and all applicable paperwork.
Alphius wrote:I've heard reports of Walbro quality going downhill in the past few years, but both my Subaru and my Camaro are still trucking along! Both are about 3 years old now.
Thats what surprises me. After this recent failure, Ive been trolling a lot of other forums. Mostly DSM and truck forums. Everyone says the same thing. Either the pumps are the best thing since apple pie or they fail horribly and Walbro will do everything they can to ensure you never get a replacement. Their policy is 1 year and if you try to cash in they will charge you to return it, cut it open to determine fault, then charge you an additional $40 for the inspection when they decide it is your fault and not a mfr defect. May as well just buy a new one.
SILINC3R wrote:If you can get one of those long magnetic wands and fish that stuff out. I would say it probably came from wherever you got your fuel unless it actually came from the little pump itself.
Im thinkin Ill have to rig a speaker magnet up and sweep the tank with that as best I can. When I get the new pump Ill have to drive the car a few miles to my buddys shop to so I can access a lift to drain and drop the tank. Im wondering about the pump as a source for the contamination as well. The only thing about that is it would mean the metal fragments made it the whole way through my fuel system and returned to the tank. Im afraid that there may be more of the stuff in the system just waiting to do more damage.

Has anyone else had a pump actually deteriorate to the point that it left metal in the tank?
1992 SS 5MT
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

New pump came in. Summit Racing had it two me in 2 days standard shipping!

Now I get to go fishing :)
1992 SS 5MT
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

So I replaced the pump, strainer and fuel filter. I fished the tank for metal debris, put it all together and tried to start it. Nada. Pulled the fuel feed line at the filter and there was no fuel in it. Pulled the lines at the pump and the center line had a dribble. The line closest to the cabin had a fair amount and the line closest to the trunk had fuel pouring out of it at a good clip. So my question is, what lies between the pump and the filter? Am I correct in assuming its just lines at this point? Am I looking at replacing the fuel line from the pump to the filter? Sorry if these questions seem mundane but this is all new ground to me and Im not having any luck in the search.

Thanks!
1992 SS 5MT
jp233
Second Gear

Post by jp233 »

So are you still getting power at the pump? I wonder if something electrical caused the relay to pop (that relay is not fun to get at up in the dash). I don't think there is anything between the pump and the filter, but I could be wrong. Especially since I have little to no experience with the turbo cars.

Did you prime the fuel lines at all? i.e. turn a key to ON a few times before actually trying to crank it. There's some air in the lines that needs to be purged, plus it has to shove gas all the way up there if it all drained out from replacing the filter and pump. Normally that doesn't take long, but I've never had to replace a pump on one of these cars.
12 Outback 3.6R Limited
94 Leg LS wag AWD, sold
93 Leg L wag FWD, sold
06 LGT 5EAT, project
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

I did turn the key a couple of times. Then tried to crank it. Maybe I should do it a few more times. When I put the car in D-Check I can hear the relay clicking. I was thinking electrical but the old pump did not power up when hardwired to the battery and ground and there is pressure in at least one line coming out of the pump though I dont know which of the three lines is the feed to the injectors. I guess I could pull the feed line before the filter and try to crank it to get the air out?
1992 SS 5MT
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

Well as I had bought a new relay the first time my pump went out I went ahead and installed it. (Thank god I had zip tied the harness plug up close to the dash panel for easy access, LOL) Still no dice. Gotta get my buddy over to try disconnecting and testing lines. Gonna be hard to monitor from the cabin.
1992 SS 5MT
hallie
In Neutral

Post by hallie »

Can you not force air backwards (with a compressor) down the fuel line from the engine bay to the tank and collect anything that comes out before it goes into the tank. Perhaps its blocked. Make sure that you disconnect the filter first. Did you change the filter ? It might also be blocked up
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

hallie wrote:Can you not force air backwards (with a compressor) down the fuel line from the engine bay to the tank and collect anything that comes out before it goes into the tank. Perhaps its blocked. Make sure that you disconnect the filter first. Did you change the filter ? It might also be blocked up

I changed the filter, pump and strainer. I tested the power at the plug with a multi meter. I agree with your suggestion. Im thinking if nothing else it would be a good way to test for flow through the entire line. Im wondering how much pressure I can force through those lines though?
1992 SS 5MT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'd suggest try blowing back through the line as well. You will likely not be able to blow back through the line with the pump connected, so you'll either want to disconnect the line at the tank where the pump conencts to the bracket or from the top of the pump.

As hallie suggested, try using a strainer or something to catch anything that might be lodged in the line.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

Thanks guys. Given that a try tomorrow. Filling the line from the filter to the pump with SeaFoam. Then pressurize. I've rigged up a sock to catch the crap if it kicks loose. Ill let you all know how it goes.
1992 SS 5MT
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

Well I blew out the line and saw lots of fuel and SeaFoam but no bits of gunk. Ok, so lines are clean. What am I missing? Pulled the pump assembly out again for an inspection. While doing so I noticed that the wiring pigtail to the pump was catching hard on the rubber gasket around the access port in the tank. Hmm...... Apparently when I was putting the pump back in the other day I didnt have the plug snapped in the whole way. It snagged and pulled free just enough to loose connection. So I snapped it firmly back into place and cranked her up. SHES ALIVE!! Happy day I have my daily joyride back! Thanks guys for the help on this. I appreciate all the feedback and time as always.

I did contact Walbro about the bad pump. They still have not replied. I figured that at the very least they would want it back to see if it was a one time fluke or a defect however that does not seem to be the case. Well hopefully this one will hold up. If not, Ive seen on other forums where guys are performing minor changes to Toyota Supra pumps with very good results in their WRX's.

Ben
1992 SS 5MT