Ideal Knock Sensor Location - Josh?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

skid542
Fifth Gear

Ideal Knock Sensor Location - Josh?

Post by skid542 »

So I bought the J&S Safeguard system off of Nico (thanks Nico!) and am going to be running an independent sensor for it.

I know Josh had a really nice thread on his research of different knock sensor locations with cool oscilligraphs and everything. However I can't find it.

Josh - would you mind pointing me to it or perhaps giving me your conclusion? Since this sensor will be controlling my timing retard I'd rather it be in the ideal spot and then place the factory sensor in the secondary location.

Thanks.

BTW, I'm pulling a second sunroof mold tonight for an S13 to verify a new surface coat and then will be pulling a hood mold Sat. or Sun. :).
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
vrg3
Vikash

Re: Ideal Knock Sensor Location - Josh?

Post by vrg3 »

Here's the thread of Josh's that you're talking about:

http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... 19&t=43582
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

On some tired engines, the stock sensor location might still send too many false positives. After exhausting your options to validate it's not the sensor or harness (aka new OEM knock sensor with fresh microphone wire soldered back to the ECU), you could consider installing the sensor into the transmission bell housing. There is another perfectly sized bolt hole ~6" away and to the rear of the engine for it.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Are you just keeping the stock sensor so the ECU is happy?

If so, you should be able to just bolt it to any spot on the engine. I actually may be adding another knock sensor for for a separate knock display and need to look into where to put it. Depending on when you plan to do this, I can let you know where I put mine.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm