Crankshaft Pulley Wobble

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Crankshaft Pulley Wobble

Post by robertpaige »

Hey guys, I recently bought a 94' Legacy L Wagon with 245xxx on the motor. In the last week or so I have been driving it fine. It's got a few issues, but the main one I am concerned about is I noticed the main crackshaft pulley has a wobble to it at low RPMs and it's making a noise when it wobbles. Just a touching noise. Now when I rev the motor past 2500 the pulley looks straight, obviously it's not but it looks like it's rotating fine at higher RPMs.

So my question is what should I be doing to get this resolved? I don't know too much about how to rip apart this engine but I have a friend who is very experienced on EJ22's that can help. Can I just replace that pulley?
the guy who had the really low winestone SS on the corvette wheels
rallyak
Third Gear

Re: Crankshaft Pulley Wobble

Post by rallyak »

You can just change the pulley, easy fix. All you need to do is pull fans off and the belts off and the bolt that holds it on and wiggle it off,and replace.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
beaconhillkilla
First Gear

Post by beaconhillkilla »

It may be too that the pulley wasn't put on straight (I did this once on accident, i know there is a notch don't ask me how haha). You may need to pull the radiator out to have room, but thats really simple. Get yourself a 22mm socket, a half inch breaker bar, and a long piece of pipe. Attach everything to the crank pulley bolt and make sure the pipe is on the right side of the motor and then give it one or two quick cranks (dont let it start). This will loosen the bolt to change the pulley.
1992 Legacy SS - Auto to 5MT swap and too much of my free time.
turboleg
Second Gear

Post by turboleg »

- Findlay
"You say grease monkey like its a bad thing"
http://www.toolsource.com
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

Thanks for the information guys. Now what about the belt that's on there? Will that just slip off?
turboleg
Second Gear

Post by turboleg »

The powersteering and alternator have their own belt tensioner. While the a.c. has another. For the alternator belt you should first loosen both alternator mounting bolts then start to crank on the tensioner bolt. Tensioner bolt points towards the ground on the left side of the alternator. Once it's loose the belt should slip off. A.c. belt is similar, but it has a separate tensioner.
- Findlay
"You say grease monkey like its a bad thing"
http://www.toolsource.com
DD50
First Gear

Post by DD50 »

Mine did the same thing. Turns out mine damaged some of the things behind it and caused the crank sensor to read bad causing a lot of issues for me. Wish I caught it sooner
Proud Owner of a 1992 Winestone Mica Subaru Legacy LSi non turbo with 198,000 miles. Soon to be turboed
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

I would inspect the crank keyway and woodruff key when you have the pulley off, your pulley is most likely not bent. I see this all the time at work, people tend not to torque the crank bolt tight enough, so the bolt starts to loosen, then the pully begins to wobble, chews up the key and keyway. If you don't catch it in time, it can cause some serious damage to the crank then your SOL. I always torque mine down and use blue lock tight to ensure it doesn't happen. The second Legacy i ever bought had it happen and the crank was junk so I put a different motor in it, i bought the car for 50 bucks though so it was worth it.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Outback- EJ25D/22e frankenmotor
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
98 Silver Legacy GT- Pikes Peak build, built EJ22t/205, GT3076r
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

I bought the car for $1200 bucks on CL. Hopefully it didn't damage the crank. How can I tell if the crank is damaged? Tomorrow i'm probably going to be taking it off and inspecting it.
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

bumpity bump. can anyone tell me how to tell if my crank is bad? or am I just going to have to find another pulley, install it, and then see?
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

You'll be able to tell when you pull the pulley off. There's a woodruff key that locates the pulley. If it's chewed up, then it won't be able to hold the new pulley in place.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

I found a 'WRX Lightweight Pulley' on Craiglist for $50 which beats the hell out of $149 plus shipping. The guy said it's a chrome aftermarket pulley he never put on he's just trying to sell it. He wants $50 for it, what i'm wondering is if it will fit on an EJ22? I have looked and most pullys for a WRX are compatible with Legacys and Imprezas for 94'. What do you guys think?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

There's no reason it shouldn't fit.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

It will fit, check to see if its an underdrive pulley or not.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Outback- EJ25D/22e frankenmotor
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
98 Silver Legacy GT- Pikes Peak build, built EJ22t/205, GT3076r
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

You don't want a stupid underdrive pulley so check to make sure its oem size.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

what's an underdrive pulley? sorry if this is a stupid question.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Undriven pullies were the "rage" in the early 2000's. :) They are smaller diameter pullies than stock. This effectively reduces the effort the engine uses to drive the accessory items like alternator, AC, PS. The issue with this those accessories don't spin at the speed they need at idle so you can get things like dimming lights, harder PS, and AC that doesn't work well.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Pulleys - and woodruff keys - are easy to find used @ the wrecking yards. Get them b4 you pull the old one off so you only have to take it apart once. If the key on the crank shaft is bad, you may be screwed anyway and @ least you don't have $$ into a new one. But if only the key is damaged and not the crank shaft, you can replace the key and pulley and maybe get lucky.

I didn't know the key can be removed 'til my last EJ22 tear down...live and learn.

Half moon woodruff key:

TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

Ahhhhhh I see. Good information. I will be driving the Legacy to pick it up so i'll make sure the pulley is the same diameter as the OEM one.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Did you tighten the one you're driving first? If the pulley is still on there, you're probably fine, but if you keep driving it as it loosens, it's likely to come off and cause damage when it does. You also don't need a full keyway if it is damaged. As long as there's enough meat left to the keyway to hold the key straight, a chip in the crank will be fine. All the manuals say 90 ft/lbs, I believe, but you want 110-120.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yup 90 and it will come loose. 120 ft lbs is what I do. I did 90 once and it came loose and tore up my crank pulley.
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

The pulley isn't loose, it's either warped of the key is screwed up. Or maybe the crank inside is warped? I just hope when I put the new one on, it's not wobbling. Otherwise i'm running the engine into the ground and then doing a turbo swap. :D
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

Alright I bought a pulley. It's slightly smaller.. It was only 25 bucks though. I already drove way far out to meet the dude. My guess is its an Underdrive pulley. In that case, where do I find a belt that fits the pulley? Can I just use the belt tensioner to remove slack? This is only a temp fix until I can afford a GrimmSpeed lightweight pulley.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Probably just adjust the belts.
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

Ok, having the same wobbling crank pully issue on my sedan. I have to ask, is the woodruff key supposed to go all the way to the end of the crank? The one on my sedan doesn't and I'm not sure if its fine or not.
Danny
biggreen96 wrote:well get out there and smash that geo around and get comfy.
1993 Legacy LS Awd: lifted, 4eat, higher mileage, and dirty.
1994 Legacy Turbo wagon: rwd, 4eat, and a faint knock..
1992 Legacy postal: bone stock, 4eat, blown reverse.