Fuel injectors, where to start?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

maria24017
First Gear

Fuel injectors, where to start?

Post by maria24017 »

I am trying to crack down and fix everything that needs to be fixed on my car. It seems like the engine light has been on ever since I got the thing. Right now it is running codes for the #2 and #3 fuel injectors. At this time I cannot afford to buy new or rebuilt injectors. How would I clean them? And would it be possible to rebuild them myself? If so, how much would that cost?

Thanks
1990 Subaru Legacy L sedan 2.2L 4 cyl AWD automatic 122,500

The worst day of your life only lasted 24 hours
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fuel injectors, where to start?

Post by Legacy777 »

What symptoms are your getting? How does the car run? Have you tried clearing the codes and then seeing if they come back? Also, have you run the d-check mode with the green connectors?

Do you have a digital multimeter to check the resistance of the injectors? They should be between 11-12 ohms.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
maria24017
First Gear

Post by maria24017 »

It runs like crap. It runs smooth when it is cool but ones it warms up it misses and shakes.. To the point that anyone in the front of the car jiggles slightly. Hesitates at times and is lacking power, it is getting poor gas miliage (17/18 sometimes 20 highway)
Sometimes I can smell gas or varnish, something I read earlier suggested that was a symptom of a clogged injector as well.
Lastly but not least my father pulled a plug wire last night and said a cylinder wasn't firing.

It has been running without the knock sensor, I'm not sure how much of this could be attributed to that.. I'm bad at wiring and my father has yet to help me put a new wire in for it

I have cleared the codes, within a day or two they come back. Have not tried d- check though.

Not sure if we have a digital meter.. I will look into that

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I would try and double check that you have spark to all four cylinders, and if you don't start there before going any further.

What other maintenance items have you done?

I'm kind of surprised you're not throwing a check engine light for the knock sensor...
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

maria24017
First Gear

Post by maria24017 »

Oh.. I am, but that is old news. Along with one for the speed sensor and purge canister solenoid. Haven't really done anything to it since we pulled the engine and replaced the rear seal back last summer.. Aside from replacing the transmission filter and pan. I think the spark plugs were changed last spring, maybe early summer. That is pretty much it though.

I found a multimeter. I will try to check for spark this evening then check the injectors

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I really suggest fixing known problems before trying to tackle other unknown issues. There are a lot of side affects that can occur with some of those codes. So it's definitely my recommendation to fix the known problems before doing anything else.

Also, just to clarify, use the multimeter to check the injectors, not for spark.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

maria24017
First Gear

Post by maria24017 »

I know that you don't use a multimeter for that.

I guess I will start with the knock sensor. Is the purge selinoid nessisary? They cost an awful lot and in VA cars aren't tested for emissions. Where should I start with the speed sensor code? The speedo works fine so I don't know why it would have a code

turbo970
Third Gear

Post by turbo970 »

if i remember right the speed sensor helps with shift points on automatic cars.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yes you should replace the purge solenoid. It can sometimes cause weird issues and now allow other codes to clear.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT