1994 legacy touring with ej22t wont start

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

CCOOL8
In Neutral

1994 legacy touring with ej22t wont start

Post by CCOOL8 »

JUST BOUGHT THE CAR A FEW DAYS AGO AND I CANT GET IT TO START. IT HAS FUEL AND SPARK BUT IT ALMOST INSTANTLY FLOODS OUT AND I'LL GET MAYBE A SPUDDER OR TWO. iM THINKING THE FUEL PREASURE REGULATOR MAY BE STUCK OPEN? YOU CAN SMELL FUEL IN THE TAIL PIPE ALSO. I KNOW THOSE NEVER BREAK BUT i'M NOT SURE WHERE ELSE TO GO WITH IT. i LOVE THE CAR AND CAN'T WAIT TO DRIVE IT. i'M ALSO INTRESTED IN A DEPENDABLE BUILD FOR THE 2.2T IN THE CAR?
turbo970
Third Gear

Re: 1994 legacy touring with ej22t wont start

Post by turbo970 »

check your timing
CCOOL8
In Neutral

Post by CCOOL8 »

I will re check that. the car was running great then it began to spudder and wouldnt start again. caar was then put in the shop and timing belt professionally re done. The mechanic swears its perfectly in time but I also have my doubts. probably off 180 on one side or the other. I'll let you know tomorrow if that was it. thanks again for the reply.
turbo970
Third Gear

Post by turbo970 »

that where all of us guys start with and josh has a link that shows how to check the tps the tps would be easier to check on your own
CCOOL8
In Neutral

Post by CCOOL8 »

Thanks ill check that first. I have a couple subaru's, 1997 obw 2.2l 225k, a 2013 obw for my wife and now this 1994 I'm going to make into a hot rod as i thought it would be nice to have a sleeper car. this is my first turbo car so I'm learning as i go what the common problems will be. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge about these cars. I picked it up for 500$ Now i just have to get her running...
CCOOL8
In Neutral

Post by CCOOL8 »

One more quik question... would the tps, crankshaft sensor, and camshaft sensor's be the same on my obw as they are on the 1997? if so ill just swap them all over real quik ant try that.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS.

I too would suggest checking the timing again. The correct timing mark is on the back of the crank gear. Sometimes people will align the crank gear to the arrow on the front of the crank gear. You can see both marks in this picture.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... P_4984.JPG

If the timing is good, then check for spark and for fuel. It sounds like you have fuel, but I'd start with the basics before tearing into swapping sensors.

To answer you question, the TPS is not the same, the crank & cam sensors may be interchangable, but I don't think the electrical connectors will be the same.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
CCOOL8
In Neutral

Post by CCOOL8 »

I started with the fuel and spark also. There both present. i pulled the covers to the cams and the marks line up perfect with the notches in the tb cover. I did not pull the pully off yet to check the timing gear. The weird thing was that when the cams are ligned up the center pullys mark was sitting at about 11 oclock wich looked to be about 30 degrees retarded. but it may be at tdc on the #2 and not #1 ill try again tonight. thanks
randomiam
Second Gear

Post by randomiam »

Swap out the coolant temperature sensor, its cheap and worth it. Activate clear flood mode (gas pedal to floor) or unplug the fuel pump and clear out the excess gas in the cylinders.. When my CTS was going bad it would continue to fuel very rich after warm up and this would consistently flood the cylinders and bog down the motor and die.
Subaru-less