White smoke

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

maria24017
First Gear

White smoke

Post by maria24017 »

So.. I had my heads resurfaced and gaskets replaced two months ago. Right after that I drove the car about 300 miles without issue. Since then I have driven it 1000-2000 miles. I went out of state Tuesday-Thursday and put over 300 additional miles on it with no problem. My sister drove behind me and didn't notice anything either. Earlier though my brother went to move the car and it was smoking pretty bad. It is white smoke. The oil and coolant were checked before, during and after my trip and nothing changed. The car never overheated either. I've been anal about watching the temp ever since my head gasket failure and it never rises above half. Any ideas/suggestions?
Car has 128k

I KNOW these are tough little cars but I have been through the wringer with this one
New rad and cv joints 2 years ago
Pulled engine to replace blown rear seal 1.5 years ago
Replaced all ingectors and TPS this summer after a long battle with rough idle
New alternator
New head gaskets and thermostat
New tie rod ends (just came in the mail today)
My gas gauge, knock sensor, cruise control and rpm gauge do not work.
1990 Subaru Legacy L sedan 2.2L 4 cyl AWD automatic 122,500

The worst day of your life only lasted 24 hours
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Re: White smoke

Post by cj91legss »

Check your fuses for the instrument cluster and make sure all the fuses are good.

White smoke, did you use oem gaskets from subaru when the head gaskets were done? What was the outside temperature when your brother moved the car? How's the idle?

It may not be anything to worry about if it was cold outside.

Also, where was the white smoke he saw coming from? It seems you may be talking about the exhaust, but I just wanna be sure you're more clear about your description.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
maria24017
First Gear

Post by maria24017 »

Gaskets were made in Japan Felpro.. Not the best but a master subaru mechanic on YouTube recommended them and they have good reviews for Subaru. It was about 50 degrees outside. And yes, I am talking about smoke from the exhaust. Idle seems to be the same as it has since I fixed the TPS and injectors. Just slightly off

Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

It's probably condensation. Does it go away after a few minutes of driving? I wouldn't be worried just yet. If the smoke is really heavy, hangs in the air for a long time and doesn't dissipate quickly or if you start seeing coolant loss then it is time to worry.
fre3k5h0w
First Gear

Post by fre3k5h0w »

A lot of the times after a headgasket job there will be a little bit of water and coolant left over going through the cats and depending on how well they cleaned the heads or replaced the valve stem seals it will still linger for a bit, but your still having noticeable amounts of heavy smoke like Alphius mentioned after almost 2500 miles since the service? Are there are any more tell tale signs like sludge in the pcv and condensation under the oil cap?
2000 subaru legacy wagon 5mt- wifeys whippopatamus
1990 subaru legacy wagon 5mt- all mine, and looks it:)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Does the white smoke continue or does it go away?

BTW, I'm going to move this to the engine forum.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
maria24017
First Gear

Post by maria24017 »

I think everything is ok. It is condensation as I has held my hand in front of the exhaust and my hand became damp. My car had set for a week and I noticed that the lower rad hose had a leak so after start up the level in the coolant tank dropped an inch or two... But then I drove the car 200 miles and it didn't drop any more and I haven't had any issues. It's idling well and I'm getting 25+ mpg highway
The condensation does dissipate but not completely... But it has been pretty darn cold. I don't know anything about the PVC though. I'm not familiar with that part

fre3k5h0w
First Gear

Post by fre3k5h0w »

Glad everything seems in order for you and your right when its cold there will be condensation its only physics. The pcv valve is just a vent for the crank case, its connected to the intake manifold via the engine block, for emissions mostly and to take oil vapor pressure out of the block and release it into the combustion chamber to be mixed with exhaust gases.
2000 subaru legacy wagon 5mt- wifeys whippopatamus
1990 subaru legacy wagon 5mt- all mine, and looks it:)