ej25d swap question

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

93FrostWhite
In Neutral

ej25d swap question

Post by 93FrostWhite »

been searching around for a few days on some info on the swap, have found out i have to use some of my sensors and wiring harness, But does anyone have any links to more info on the swap. I'll be going to a junkyard sunday next week to look for a motor to rebuild and install but want to know what i should grab while i'm there since i only have off 1 day a week and want to get everything i need in 1 shot, if any one has any info on this that would be very greatfull. P.S the motor is going in a 93 legacy wagon and i'll be looking for a motor from a 97 or 98 legacy
86BRATMAN
Second Gear

Re: ej25d swap question

Post by 86BRATMAN »

The ej25d is not a good choice to replace an ej22 in my opinion. They're prone to blow head gaskets and spin bearings. Getting one from a junkyard and not rebuilding it is similar to playing Russian Roulette with 3 bullets in the revolver. Otherwise the swap will be pretty simple. You'll need to use your throttle body, cam and crank sensors and wiring harness as well as your original flywheel/flew plate. It can be done in one day if you have everything ready before hand, physically it's a direct swap.
93FrostWhite
In Neutral

Post by 93FrostWhite »

I would stick with the 22 but it just doesn't have enough tq for what I need
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

I'm doing this also, I like my 2.2 but like you said not enough torque. My block is bored and honed with torque plate installed and with a new crank from Subaru that needed straightened out of the box and the whole works balanced. I will probably install it next spring after it all built.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
WRXish
First Gear

Post by WRXish »

you could do a stroked 2.2 and end up with a 2.3 and for a wider powerband, bolt up a set of DOHC heads...that would make for an interesting and fun engine. That way you keep the 2.2 goodness... :)