Enduring Solutions ECU board and why you should buy it

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

th3band1t
In Neutral

Re: Enduring Solutions ECU board and why you should buy it

Post by th3band1t »

So I got an email back! Had to send them a message on FB as I must have hit the spam filter. BUT GOOD NEWS 92/6 MOTORSPORT WILL HAPPEN! See below message. I am disappointed that only a few things were answered but oh well, looks like I found what ill be going with!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Enduring Solutions Limited <service@enduringsolutions.com>
Date: Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 3:23 PM
Subject: Re: New submission from Contact Us
To: ------------------------------

Hi Stuart

Sorry for slow reply.

Any 4 plug turbo ECU 89-96 will do.

Motorsports for 92/6 will follow soon after the announcement for 99/00.

Cheers

Andy

On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 6:22 PM, Stuart Satterthwaite <------------------------> wrote:
Name
Stuart Satterthwaite
Email
-------------------
I recently acquired a USDM 1991 Legacy SS and was looking for ways to tune the vehicle. I came across your product on Legacy Central and was wondering if you could answer some questions for me. I am under the impression that your board will work with any EJ20G ECU, Is that correct? Is there a version of the EJ20G ECU that you recommend more than others or does the tune completely over-ride the stock ECU parameters? I also see that there are 2 different versions of boards you offer, are they broken down as 92/6 would be 1992-1996 and 97/8 be years 1997-1998? Lastly are there to be any expected updates to the 92/6 as ALS Support would be phenomenal?

I greatly appreciate any assistance you could provide in helping.

v/r
Stuart Satterthwaite
BiNiaRiS
First Gear

Post by BiNiaRiS »

th3band1t wrote:So I got an email back! Had to send them a message on FB as I must have hit the spam filter. BUT GOOD NEWS 92/6 MOTORSPORT WILL HAPPEN! See below message. I am disappointed that only a few things were answered but oh well, looks like I found what ill be going with!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Enduring Solutions Limited <service@enduringsolutions.com>
Date: Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 3:23 PM
Subject: Re: New submission from Contact Us
To: ------------------------------

Hi Stuart

Sorry for slow reply.

Any 4 plug turbo ECU 89-96 will do.

Motorsports for 92/6 will follow soon after the announcement for 99/00.

Cheers

Andy

On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 6:22 PM, Stuart Satterthwaite <------------------------> wrote:
Name
Stuart Satterthwaite
Email
-------------------
I recently acquired a USDM 1991 Legacy SS and was looking for ways to tune the vehicle. I came across your product on Legacy Central and was wondering if you could answer some questions for me. I am under the impression that your board will work with any EJ20G ECU, Is that correct? Is there a version of the EJ20G ECU that you recommend more than others or does the tune completely over-ride the stock ECU parameters? I also see that there are 2 different versions of boards you offer, are they broken down as 92/6 would be 1992-1996 and 97/8 be years 1997-1998? Lastly are there to be any expected updates to the 92/6 as ALS Support would be phenomenal?

I greatly appreciate any assistance you could provide in helping.

v/r
Stuart Satterthwaite
Any ej20g ecu works so find the cheapest one you can. The software code on the ecu is not used. The 92/96 boards work for any legacy SS 89-94.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

For both my EJ20G ECUs (on my Legacys), if it got below 40°, they'd Start>Stop>Start run OK. After swapping the CTS and reading online that they're cold-blooded, I basically gave up (but chronicled what else I tried @ the bottom of my EJ20G Thread).
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

BiNiaRiS wrote:Define cold weather? Before I had this setup tubed my car was starting upon immediately when the temp was in the teens. Doesn't get much colder than that though.
I've had the same experience as wtdash on two different EJ20G ECUs with three different tunes. Below about 45-50 degrees F the car starts then dies, then on a second try it starts and usually stays running but runs rough for up to 10-15 seconds. The colder the weather is the longer it takes to start and stay running.

It seems to be luck of the draw when it comes to EJ20G ECUs and cold start behavior.
th3band1t
In Neutral

Post by th3band1t »

Anyone on here run a block heater? It seems if you're having these problems they could be avoided by having one.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

wtdash wrote:For both my EJ20G ECUs (on my Legacys), if it got below 40°, they'd Start>Stop>Start run OK. After swapping the CTS and reading online that they're cold-blooded, I basically gave up (but chronicled what else I tried @ the bottom of my EJ20G Thread).
For what it's worth, Rob's tunes fix this problem. I have never had an issue with cold idle even at 15F degrees. Someone should email ESL and ask them about the scalar issue and what their thoughts are on it.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
BiNiaRiS
First Gear

Post by BiNiaRiS »

kimokalihi wrote:
wtdash wrote:For both my EJ20G ECUs (on my Legacys), if it got below 40°, they'd Start>Stop>Start run OK. After swapping the CTS and reading online that they're cold-blooded, I basically gave up (but chronicled what else I tried @ the bottom of my EJ20G Thread).
For what it's worth, Rob's tunes fix this problem. I have never had an issue with cold idle even at 15F degrees. Someone should email ESL and ask them about the scalar issue and what their thoughts are on it.
Someone that really knows their shit should talk to ESL about that. The guy that responds is their tech guy and he's very knowledgeable.

And I haven't had a single issue with cold starts so maybe that's been addressed as well.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I agree. That person is not me lol. No idea what scalar even means to a tuner.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Two of the EJ20Gs that I've personally seen with that problem have had Rob's tune on them.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Well, that's strange. I thought Rob addressed that issue.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Yeah, like I said it seems to be luck of the draw on EJ20G ECUs as far as whether cold start sucks or not. Here's a question, did you ever run your ECU before you had a tune on it? The cold start issue may be caused by something besides the tune from ECU to ECU. I have not seen one where the cold behavior is changed after adding a tune, either fixing or breaking it.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

No I don't think I've run it wouthout the chip. I'm quite sure there would be a problem with the 525cc Sti yellowtops if I did.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Ha, yeah, the one that I know had cold start issues both before and after was Mike Tracy's car. I did a full EJ20G swap in a '94 SS with 550s and a RobTune for another friend of mine and he had the same issue.
BiNiaRiS
First Gear

Post by BiNiaRiS »

Alphius wrote:Ha, yeah, the one that I know had cold start issues both before and after was Mike Tracy's car. I did a full EJ20G swap in a '94 SS with 550s and a RobTune for another friend of mine and he had the same issue.
I ran this setup on the pretty much stock 6K map. We modified the injector scale and the MAF scale but left everything else alone until my tuner had time to get it on the dyno. It still started up the first time in cold weather with no issues.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Alphius wrote:Ha, yeah, the one that I know had cold start issues both before and after was Mike Tracy's car. I did a full EJ20G swap in a '94 SS with 550s and a RobTune for another friend of mine and he had the same issue.
Interesting. Mike let me borrow that ecu when I was having issues with codes not going away. It fired right up no idle problems. Don't remember the temperature though.
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

I bought an ESL board from Kimo, but I ended up selling it to Rick at Superior Soobie because I decided to go RobTune and needed extra cash, as well as he was interested in it because he had seen Brandons car. Turns out that he emailed ESL and they told him the board I sold him was an old revision from like 2007, it would still work but not with the new software. So it was kind of a crapshoot.

As far as the ESL goes i'm a full supporter, and having driven Brandons car even on 16psi the thing is FAST, i'm talking like easily on par with a built STi, you put your foot into it and it just keeps pulling. He turned the boost up since then as well, so i'm sure that's even more fun. The drivibilty of the car is awesome, I think once people see how easy this is to use and install it will be a bigger hit amongst our community.

Why don't I have one? Because the RobTune works better for my setup currently. I found a RobTune for fairly cheap, and honestly have been very happy with it. I like that it is PnP and I didn't have to dyno/road tune it. It was easy. I ran it on a stock 22T with 550's, 16G and FMIC at 18PSI and the car was plenty fast. I'm excited to see the way my 20G motor feels with DOHC on this ECU. I think the RobTune is a great option for someone who wants a simple and easy performance upgrade, but I agree that the ESL is probably more bang for your buck and will net you MUCH more power, also the ability to retain wasted spark is very convenient as well. His car is well into the 300+whp range, which is seriously awesome.
the guy who had the really low winestone SS on the corvette wheels
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I had 2 EJ20G ECU's, ran both untuned prior to going robtune, and both acted just fine in the cold. None of that "cold blooded" stuff I hear about. I can't remember offhand which specific ones they were, one was off a WRX wagon and the other a WRX sedan. No Z4 or anything super aggressive.

I really like the idea of this board, although I'd have to say that if I was going need to pay for a tune anyways, I'd lean more towards a standalone that is more well-known by tuners in my area.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

All of my stock as well as my robtuned ej20g ecus had the cold start thing occationally. In the winter they would do it almost every morning.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

James614 wrote:I really like the idea of this board, although I'd have to say that if I was going need to pay for a tune anyways, I'd lean more towards a standalone that is more well-known by tuners in my area.
I second this. I think the board is a good option and provides a next level between the Robtune and going full stand alone since you don't have to go as crazy with the wiring. But as I've mentioned before, having good local tuner support is very important.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Abeall2
In Neutral

Post by Abeall2 »

Hey awesome fellow subaru dudes
probably stupid question... i need a jdm or usdm ecu? I'm assuming jdm. Will this ecu work for instance : Image 95-96 JDM SUBARU IMPREZA WRX ST TYPE RA 2.0L ECU 22611 AC281 JDM EJ Or does anyone on the thread have one for sale? Just acquired the ej20g heads td04 and FMIC so i'm getting close to some fun times heh. Thanks in advance
90 AWD,5MT,Legacy w/ Ej22t swap.(Silver)
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

yes any ej20g ecu will work.
Kris

'91 Mica White SS - R.I.P.
'88 White RX Turbo sedan - SOLD
'91 Black SS - SOLD
'93 Silver Turbo Wagon - Hibernation/Project Mode
'91 Black Camry Alltrac - R.I.P.
'09 DGM Forester XT Limited - Daily
MConte05
Second Gear

Post by MConte05 »

Anyone else take the plunge on these?
Abeall2
In Neutral

Post by Abeall2 »

Hey, my name is Aaron and I am working with several Subaru enthusiasts in my area. We love the 1st gen Legacy and are trying to figure out this ECU tune subject. Everything else is fairly straight forward. If anyone has any helpful insight on which ecu to buy that would be great. I have read here and there that a cold start issue can occur, has this been remedied? Any response would be great!! Hopefully the Legacy Central is still alive and well. My best regards!
90 AWD,5MT,Legacy w/ Ej22t swap.(Silver)
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

I hardly ever get the cold start hick up, like ONCE a year or so rarity....but that's just me.
94 Winestone SS 5MT Rob 550 20g. (Pickle)
Original WA car with 460k miles and climbing
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Maybe Mike can chime in with his ESL experience, but for me on a 20G ECU with a RobTune, it took two or three starts literally every single time the temperature was below 50* or so. Seems like different people have different degrees of issues.