Ej22t head issues.

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

tfoote3
In Neutral

Ej22t head issues.

Post by tfoote3 »

Sorry, i am new to this forum, i did as much searching as i could handle. (hours) and i still am not confident about this topic, i have a 94ss with the stock ej22t in it. (150k) when i bought the car a little over a year ago i found it had a burnt exhaust valve, so i pulled the engine and replaced the valve and a couple of the HLAs and slapped it all back together. it ran great for a while, and then i noticed it was down on power and had a bad misfire i couldnt pinpoint the miss for a while, it would come and go. i have since replaced many things. td04l swap, 06 xt tmic 3" nameless catback, but the miss is constant now. and its mechanical. not spark or injectors. something in the valvetrian most likely. I am going to tear into it to find out. but i was looking around on my local classifieds and found a set of good heads off of a 03 wrx. ej205 and i know this has been done before. the price is right for me. but i need to know what i am looking at realistically. can i do it. i dont want to build the engine up just yet, i would love it if i could do this swap. i know im talking about a new intake manifold, head gaskets, and timing. any knowledge on the subject would be largely appreciated. its not my daily but i do use it often so getting her back on the road is priority. not having to do this again for a while is also priority.

thanks.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Re: Ej22t head issues.

Post by Alphius »

EJ205 heads are going to be too big of a project I think. You would need to get a full WRX wiring harness and merge the WRX ECU into your factory harness. The EJ205 heads are not compatible with the earlier ECUs.
tfoote3
In Neutral

Post by tfoote3 »

Alphius wrote:EJ205 heads are going to be too big of a project I think. You would need to get a full WRX wiring harness and merge the WRX ECU into your factory harness. The EJ205 heads are not compatible with the earlier ECUs.
But would that give me tunability? I've been wanting that since I've owned the car I've just had no good reason to mess with it, I'm not afraid of the wiring and living in slc I'm sure getting my hands on an ej205 ecu wouldn't be hard. Is there other fitment issues I would run into with the dohc heads? Thanks for the responce

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Yes, it would. You'll need/end up with everything related to the WRX engine. Full engine harness, power steering pump and lines, intake, intercooler, airbox, intake manifold, turbo inlet, throttle body, etc.

You can kind of get an idea of what it takes in my build thread. Mine is a '99, so the wiring is different but all the other stuff should be very similar.

http://sl-i.net/FORUM/showthread.php?18 ... speed-swap
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

You can also look at mine in the Build Journals section of this forum and see what I did. Doesn't seem like you will want to go as far as I did, but the engine itself is a pretty good combination. 22t/205 heads.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
tfoote3
In Neutral

Post by tfoote3 »

I think I'm going to bag that for another later subie. You're build has motivated me a little haha, I'm just going to fix the stock heads and maybe buy another project subie. Thanks for all the help and fast responses

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Yeah, mine took a lot of time and work but it sure is a fun driver. Currently at 20.4 psi.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT