Buzzing clicking from behind cluster when starting

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

chrisshara
First Gear

Buzzing clicking from behind cluster when starting

Post by chrisshara »

Sometimes when I go to start my car, I get a buzzing or clicking that sounds like a relay going crazy behind the instrument cluster. This only happens when the ignition is in the "start" position (position 3). Any ideas what might be causing this ?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Buzzing clicking from behind cluster when starting

Post by Legacy777 »

Does the engine start when the key is in the "start" position?

It's probably one of the relays. the only other thing I could think of would be the seat belt chime behind the gauge cluster. Do you get the noise whether the door is open or closed?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
chrisshara
First Gear

Post by chrisshara »

I don't get the noise when the door is open or closed and no seat belt chime; which isn't a bad thing. It sounds like a relay going nuts. When the relay is going nuts the starter won't engage at all. But, if I cycle they key, it ALWAYS engages the starter on the second or third key cycle and the engine starts no problem. But, it's just annoying and it has been going on for awhile and I figure I better try to sort it before whatever relay is going bananas calls it quits completely. A schematic of the starter circuit would be helpful. I don't have a factory service manual. wish I did though. If anyone knows how I could get one, other than waiting for one to appear on ebay.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

Not for sure, but the starter relay is under the dash and it sort of sounds like that could be the issue.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

chrisshara wrote:A schematic of the starter circuit would be helpful. I don't have a factory service manual. wish I did though. If anyone knows how I could get one, other than waiting for one to appear on ebay.

You can thank Josh(Legacy777) for this, here is a link to a page where you can d/l the FSM:
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=14485
93 impreza rally muffin
93 legacy ss Tarmac Terminator
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
killajamal wrote:Dank is actually German for "silly term which the kids have come up with to describe exceptionally choice marijuana.''
turbo wagon
First Gear

Post by turbo wagon »

mine is a MT and if I don't have the clutch in all the way it makes that similar sounds. I just try the clutch again down farther and no buzz and car starts

Derek
93 legacy wagon 5speed -Ej22t swap
92 SVX
86 vanagon with an SVX swap
01 outback the lactation-station-wagon
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

chrisshara wrote:I don't get the noise when the door is open or closed and no seat belt chime; which isn't a bad thing. It sounds like a relay going nuts. When the relay is going nuts the starter won't engage at all. But, if I cycle they key, it ALWAYS engages the starter on the second or third key cycle and the engine starts no problem. But, it's just annoying and it has been going on for awhile and I figure I better try to sort it before whatever relay is going bananas calls it quits completely. A schematic of the starter circuit would be helpful. I don't have a factory service manual. wish I did though. If anyone knows how I could get one, other than waiting for one to appear on ebay.

So there really isn't any relay behind the instrument cluster, but what there is behind the cluster is the speaker/noise maker for the seat belt and key chime when the driver's door is open. I wonder if that is what's making the noise.

I suspect the starting issue is something unrelated to the sound. Any chance you can take a video of the noise and post it on youtube?

You can see the noise maker in these pictures.

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... combmeter/
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The other thing I thought of was that there may be a ground issue that may be causing the buzzer not to work or sound like it does. Unfortunately, pulling the gauge cluster out to inspect and test things is about the only way you'll be able to troubleshoot further.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

chrisshara
First Gear

Post by chrisshara »

This noise only happens when the ignition switch is in position #3. This sound has something to do with the starter circuit. Can anyone provide a schematic of the starter circuit ?
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

chrisshara wrote:This noise only happens when the ignition switch is in position #3. This sound has something to do with the starter circuit. Can anyone provide a schematic of the starter circuit ?

See dankberries' post about where to find factory service diagrams/schematics.

dankberries wrote:
chrisshara wrote:A schematic of the starter circuit would be helpful. I don't have a factory service manual. wish I did though. If anyone knows how I could get one, other than waiting for one to appear on ebay.

You can thank Josh(Legacy777) for this, here is a link to a page where you can d/l the FSM:
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=14485
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT