aluminum coolant expansion tank?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

jefferson
Third Gear

aluminum coolant expansion tank?

Post by jefferson »

I would like to find an aluminum coolant expansion tank that bolts in place of the stock piece. Anytime I unbolt my repaired stocker I fear another broken nipple and I would like to get to the ground point on the manifold behind the tank. When I searched there was mention of MRT. Are they it for this piece? Any recommendations for someone here in the U.S. that could custom make one?
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: aluminum coolant expansion tank?

Post by Legacy777 »

I am not aware of anyone that makes a direct replacement coolant tank for the ej22t motors. I honestly don't know even if MRT makes that tank any more.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

I sent off an email to them so I will see what they say.
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
monkeyposeur
First Gear

Post by monkeyposeur »

I used a tank from a WRX and relocated it next to the ABS module on the passenger side of the engine bay. I bought a piece of 90* aluminum stock and cut and modified it to act as a brace. A few writeups on how to do it are out there. Not a bad job at all and you get rid of that horrible plastic tank forever. And then you have some room to stuff an intercooler in there! :)
93 SS - SOLD
03 WRX 22T/205 20GXT 350 whp
06 OBXT
95 BK - Sold to my neighbor.
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

For some reason my emails to them don't go through. Looking to find someone to custom make one. I have one of the wrx tanks, but I don't like the rerouting and relocating stuff. An aluminum tank would mount up like stock and I would be rid of the plastic tank then.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

What email are you sending it to?

You could just send them something through their contact page.

http://www.mrtperformance.com.au/contact-us
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

I was trying through their contact page. Something isn't communicating somehow I fear.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Hmm, ok.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

I tried again using the link that you sent and I got a message that it had gone through, but haven't heard anything back. Guess I could use snail mail or just find some one to custom make it.
impostor
First Gear

Post by impostor »

I'll take a pic of my aluminum tank that our in-house machinist made. It's not currently on either of my ej22ts due to the fact that both my tanks haven't cracked yet. The only negative part is it uses a GM style cap! If there's enough interest maybe I can convince him to make a few more but our shop is more of a side job for him.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I would be interested (depending on price) if it fits in the stock location and clears the 06 07 WRX intercooler! Plus since it's all metal, he could always weld Subaru Style receiver for the radiator cap.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
impostor
First Gear

Post by impostor »

In the interest of research I might have to install it soon. I'm just so afraid to touch anything that isn't broken on this thing! I think at the time the Subaru style cap adapter wasn't readily available. It does use the correct pressure cap though.
impostor
First Gear

Post by impostor »

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

It's not pretty, but how does it fit?
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
impostor
First Gear

Post by impostor »

I haven't fitted it yet but may have to soon. I have a leak on the bottom nipple on my plastic one. The guy next to us is a welder that can do pretty much anything so I might see if he can make one. He saved a customer of ours that had the woodruff key shear off and chew up the crank. He fixed it with the engine in the car and it's still going strong six months later.
nortonjefferson
First Gear

Post by nortonjefferson »

impostor wrote:I haven't fitted it yet but may have to soon. I have a leak on the bottom nipple on my plastic one. The guy next to us is a welder that can do pretty much anything so I might see if he can make one. He saved a customer of ours that had the woodruff key shear off and chew up the crank. He fixed it with the engine in the car and it's still going strong six months later.
Do you have any updates on this tank and its function/fit? Love the concept
White 1993 L Wagon AWD 5MT-FXT lift, 27” MTs 380xxx miles
White 1991 L sedan AWD 5MT-(Robtune 550 DOHC Ej22t swap coming together) 187xxx miles
Black 2005 LGT 5MT-Ej20x swapped daily, VF40/elh
impostor
First Gear

Post by impostor »

Sorry, I haven't had a chance yet. Our shop has been swamped pretty much all summer. We've been building broken ej255/7s all summer on top of all the regular stuff. The more I look at it I would like to come up with a solution with a more modern tank as well. We have a bunch of ej20k and every version of the USDM tanks available to mess with.

Jim