Changing valve cover gasket (engine in) and what oil to run

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Mpgingerson
First Gear

Changing valve cover gasket (engine in) and what oil to run

Post by Mpgingerson »

Hi. My car has had a leaking valve gasket, and or sparkplug gasket ever since I bought the car, but recently the car is low on oil, and I've filled it up, but decreases a little over a few days, so I'm unsure if the gasket is gone or the engine is burning oil? Is it possible to change the valve gasket with the engine left in, but removing abs solanoid, pod filter, and so on.. Give me enough room to remove and change it safely? (Induction side of EJ20).

And one more question! I want to try Motul oil since I love it on my bike, but Motul vs Castrol? What's best? I've been using Castrol Edge 10w30 in my car and it ticks... Tried Mobil1, but nada.. Still ticks, so what Motul oil should I try? EJ20G engine.

Thanks.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Changing valve cover gasket (engine in) and what oil to

Post by Legacy777 »

As far as I know you should be able to change the valve cover gasket with the engine still in the car. Make sure you also replace the valve cover bolt grommets as well as they are notorious for leaking as well.

As for the oil type....it's really a preference and everyone has theirs. Run the required viscosity per the manufacturers recommendation. If it ticks with two different kinds of oil putting in Motul likely isn't going to magically make it not tick. It may help, but I personally wouldn't get my hopes up.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Mpgingerson
First Gear

Post by Mpgingerson »

Legacy777 wrote:As far as I know you should be able to change the valve cover gasket with the engine still in the car. Make sure you also replace the valve cover bolt grommets as well as they are notorious for leaking as well.

As for the oil type....it's really a preference and everyone has theirs. Run the required viscosity per the manufacturers recommendation. If it ticks with two different kinds of oil putting in Motul likely isn't going to magically make it not tick. It may help, but I personally wouldn't get my hopes up.
I went with Castrol Edge for this run, but I've read from people changing the valve cover gasket using some kind of bonding material? Is this necessary, because I use the car as a daily commuter and I don't really have around 24-48 hours to wait for it to harden... Can I just stick the new gasket in and install it?
Mpgingerson
First Gear

Post by Mpgingerson »

And one more thing.. Whils't I'm having the cover open, is there anything I should look for or clean? The cover has been leaking sometime now, so I'm going to dunk the outside in brake cleaner and clean it, but maybe I should adjust the valves?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The valves are hydraulic adjusted and need no manual adjustment.

The only thing I'd suggest is cleaning off the area where the valve covers mate to the heads. This will help prevent dirt from falling down into the valve springs and valve train.

Other than that, just replace the rubber seal on the valve cover, grommets, and oil filler tube o-ring. You don't need to use any bonding material/silicone etc.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
BiNiaRiS
First Gear

Post by BiNiaRiS »

you can't go wrong with rotella t6 synthetic. it's cheap (for a synthetic) and great. i wouldn't run anything else. I ran it in my legacy, run it in my tacoma, and will run it in my next subaru once it's rebuilt.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Yes, you can do the valve cover gaskets with the engine in the car. I have done both of mine that way. Get the whole kit from felpro or gates and you'll be good. It should comes with everything so double check. grommets for the bolts and valve cover gasket.

As for oil, like Josh said. Oil for the most part is oil. The major point is making sure the car is at the required level at all times and changing the oil at timely intervals. I am currently changing my intervals to 5000 miles as my car uses a little bit of oil so fresh oil is always being added. I run Rotella T6, it is somewhat cheap and the fact that it is intended for a diesel proves it is meant for hotter applications. I run Rotella T5 in my Miata as well.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Also, if you have a EJ20, they are known for being a bit loud.

Just stick with the gasket no need for gasket maker. That is usually for the cams(half moons).
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

oil is definitely not created equal, there is a ton that goes into it. read on if you dare:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Legacy or Impreza EJ20G? (Legacy has 2 bolts per coil, Impreza has 1)

If it is a Legacy EJ20G they are known for ticking hydraulic lifters (HLAs) because they are buried deep in the head with tiny oil passages feeding them. An oil flush solution before the oil change helps keep the tiny passages clean and dirt from blocking oil flow.

Also, Legacy EJ20G gaskets are hard to find here in North America. Make sure you have them secured before you take anything apart.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack