Engine mounts

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

canadianbc5ra
In Neutral

Engine mounts

Post by canadianbc5ra »

I recently found that I have a pooched set of liquid filled engine mounts. So I am looking to replace them with the Group-N mounts or anything that will fit and is not liquid filled. Does anyone have the part numbers for the Group-N mounts? Or a vendor that has them for a decent price? I have tried searching, haven't really come up with much info. Are the engine mounts the same as other models?
rallyak
Third Gear

Re: Engine mounts

Post by rallyak »

eBay is a good place, look up for WRX and if you have a 5 speed you can get the transmission mount also. This made a huge difference in the way my car felt, doesn't feel like a noodle when I hit the gas.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Most subarus with an ej engine use interchangeable solid mounts; you could grab a set from a junkyard car, or make a request in the parts shed for a pair. The "Group-N" ones are noticeably stiffer than normal solids, but you really need to replace the tranny bushings and even the rear diff bushings to get the full effect.

With my own SS, I have the group-n engine mounts, and I cheated and used 3M Windoweld sealant (yes, the stuff they use to seal windows) to fill the gaps in the stock mounts. Pics towards the bottom of this page: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... 65&start=0. Hell, even if you get the regular solid mounts I'd still recommend filling in the gaps in the mounts. It makes a huge difference in how the car feels when you get on it, shift, or brake hard.

Lastly, I'd recommend buying group-n bushings brand new, because they actually wear down and even tear (only seen this once). For the slightly softer "regular" motor mounts, buying used shouldn't be a problem.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
canadianbc5ra
In Neutral

Post by canadianbc5ra »

Hmmm, thanks for all the info guys! I do have a few sets of STi and WRX mounts. I'll have to give em a try. At the moment I'm just collecting parts. VF24, S20 heads, '06 STi Cams, JE pistons from Sixstarspeed.com (these are specific for 205 head swaps for ej22T), looking for a set of STi pink injectors for my S20's, STi con rods, ACL bearings (con and mains with number 5 thrust on my other CDB), 11mm oil pump, OE 22T head gasket set. Should be a nice cruiser. Looking for reliability as I will be doing a big road trip with this car (roughly 10,000km from Toronto, Ontario to Irwindale, CA then up the PCH/hwy 101 to Vancouver and back across Canada to Toronto)
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Sounds like a fun build!
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
canadianbc5ra
In Neutral

Post by canadianbc5ra »

Hopefully. Im looking for a solid 260-280hp and I'd really like roughly 250-280 tq. If im in that range I'll be a happy camper.