Water Pump Question

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

just-rust
First Gear

Water Pump Question

Post by just-rust »

Does anyone have any experience with the water pump just crapping out on them?

This morning I was driving and noticed my check engine light come on and it illuminated my temp gauge almost in the red. My lower radiator hose was disconnected from the radiator and obviously had no coolant in the system. I figured I had found the problem. Reattached the hose, filled what I could with coolant and then started the car to start circulating the coolant and add the remainder. I soon notice that there was nothing circulating and figured the water pump was just dead in the water, quite literally.

I have read they weep when they are getting bad but never read about one just dying. My hose was apparently the weak point in the system and I am assuming blew off from the pressure. Just seeing if anyone has some insight on this or if there is another explanation I am missing.
Rusty 1991 EJ22T - VF28 - '07 wrx TMIC - MBC - Invidia DP - Walbro 255 SOLD
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, with some neat stuff on it
mike-tracy

Re: Water Pump Question

Post by mike-tracy »

I have had a bunch of experience with water pump failures, unfortunately. When you said that you noticed nothing circulating, was the coolant warm enough to open the thermostat?
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
just-rust
First Gear

Re: Water Pump Question

Post by just-rust »

Thanks for the reply! Oddly enough, anytime I have added coolant or filled the system the pump has circulated right off the start no matter if it was middle of the winter or middle of the summer.

For this situation, the next time I started the car the pump was circulating. Apparently that hose just blew off which is really strange. Not sure what to think of that.
Rusty 1991 EJ22T - VF28 - '07 wrx TMIC - MBC - Invidia DP - Walbro 255 SOLD
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, with some neat stuff on it