440 Grey injector into stock fuel rail questions

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

oldbugeye
In Neutral

440 Grey injector into stock fuel rail questions

Post by oldbugeye »

Does anyone have a picture of a Grey top 440 with the correct one rings to fit into a 92 ej22t rail. I read the thread about it and link to the pictures don't work. I put mine in and believe it has an internal fuel leak. It runs way way way to rich. It's blowing a tone of fuel vapor out the exhaust. White smoke and its not coolant it is defiantly fuel vapor. It has stock ecu tbe I know it runs rich with stock ecu but it shouldnt run this rich. Thank you.
mike-tracy

Re: 440 Grey injector into stock fuel rail questions

Post by mike-tracy »

I ran this setup briefly with the stock ecu before switching to a 20g ecu (with a stock engine). When I stepped on it, I could see a mist of fuel out the back! 16mpg or less. But that wasn't your question.

I don't have pictures of the setup, but I took an injector to autozone, grabbed their box of o-rings and matched the sizes. The brand new o-rings are a tight fit in the fuel rails, but I coated them in a little silicone grease and they seated nicely. I still had a leaking problem with one of them, but pulling it out, regreasing it and putting it back in fixed it.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
oldbugeye
In Neutral

Post by oldbugeye »

Thank youfor the reply. I did a similar thing. I got them to stop leaking today but it is still misfiring and I am going to put the stock injectors back in until I can find a Rob tune. Also I have low compression 100 psi in cylinder 1 that I found today so that is the miss fire issue I am sure... Guess it's time for a rebuild. God damn it.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I broke my SS on black friday last year, and with any luck will be able to drive it again with a freshly rebuilt short block this coming weekend. I feel your pain
oldbugeye
In Neutral

Post by oldbugeye »

Did you just use o rings or did you include the little spacer that came on the injectors?
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

oldbugeye wrote:Did you just use o rings or did you include the little spacer that came on the injectors?
I missed your question. Are you talking about the metal spacers that go in between the fuel rails and intake manifold, where the bolts go? Or rubber ones in the manifold where the fuel rails seat? I had sealing problems when I used the metal spacers between the rails and manifold. It changed the angle the injectors were going in. So I discarded those.

I did use the rubber ones, applying some grease I had on hand (lithium?) due to issues getting them to seal properly.