Only main rad fan working

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

93wagonship
First Gear

Only main rad fan working

Post by 93wagonship »

Hi guys,

As the title says, my sub fan has been lazy and only works with a helping hand to start (on the second stage or speed, however, it seems to start and blow fine).

I have been running the car without issues, even with aircon on, no overheating.

The only thing I've noticed is that I'm loosing coolant. And this is my question: could be due to lacking the sub fan?

The expansion tank shows empty in the morning (cold engine) and I can see that the coolant had been spited by the reservoir top cap hose as even the battery bottom plate had coolant). No signs of external leaks, all hoses are new and tightened. Radiator itself had been tested not long ago and water pump and t-stat at the same time (both replaced).

It's being hard to find another fan to replace this. What if I buy a 2-wire universal, is there a way to use it? The 3-wire ones in here are mostly from volkswagens and are too big (about 15").

Thaks heaps
Wagonship: 1993 Legacy BF (High Roof Touring Wagon) EJ22 5-spd manual with low range \o/
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Only main rad fan working

Post by Legacy777 »

Have you properly bled the cooling system to ensure all the air is out of it? If so and you're still loosing coolant you've either got a leak somewhere or possible headgasket issue. I don't think the sub fan not working would cause a loss of coolant, but anything is possible. What are you temperatures like? Is the engine temperature always staying normal?

Your best bet with the fan is to see if you can find another motor that will work with the Legacy fan & shroud.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
93wagonship
First Gear

Post by 93wagonship »

Thanks Josh. Car is running fine, temp always in the middle or below. It's been properly bleeded, well pointed though.

The other day I really pushed the engine hard them stopped and quickly opened the hood with engine still on. There were some bubbles in the coolant tank, but they magically disappeared in a matter of seconds and it was all flat again. Kind of worried me for a minute. Maybe an early stage as you said.

I'll keep checking for leaks and adding coolant when low. Hope it's not an engine reseal job coming, not now :)

About the fan, it's a dead end now, will have to start looking into salvage yards (which I hate). We cracked it open, changed the bearing and put new brushes, lots of love. However, the part where the brushes work has been "escavated" so no hope, she deserves a new pair.

cheers mate
Wagonship: 1993 Legacy BF (High Roof Touring Wagon) EJ22 5-spd manual with low range \o/
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, I guess keep your eye out for a used one.

Also, just curious...are you adding coolant to the coolant expansion tank or radiator?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

93wagonship
First Gear

Post by 93wagonship »

coolant expansion tank. Always check on the radiator since it's morning and engine is cold, but seems to be always topped off.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

So the radiator is always full and you're just adding coolant to the expansion tank?

I guess keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

93wagonship
First Gear

Post by 93wagonship »

Yep, will replace an almost new aftermarket cap also as a test.

About the fan I'm still wondering what would happen if I use a 2-wire fan and which wires could be tied together?

If there is a tiny change of damaging the AC relay holder I'll give up now.

Thing is there are some Denso fans for Honda cars that look just alike in size, except for being 2-wire.

cheers
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You should be ok using a 2-wire fan. All the three wire does is make the motor spin faster. You can see how the stock fans are wired and it just has the same power source going to two leads on the fan motor and then one to ground.

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... iagram.pdf
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

93wagonship
First Gear

Post by 93wagonship »

Josh, I guess you're right (HG early stage).

Loss of coolant only occur on prolonged motorway driving with sustained high RPM for long periods (pressure build up). No overheating though.

For daily driving, even with vigorous overtakings, no significant or noticeable coolant loss.

Makes me remember a bad overheat about 2 yrs ago when I bought the car due to a cracked radiator plastic lateral box. The back of the timing belt cover even melted on the passenger side. Problem must be started them. Maybe a tiny warp on the block or heads is what causing this.

cheers
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Thanks for the follow up.

You can get a combustion leak tester to confirm the head gasket leak. That's what I had to do. Because my leak was so small it was only after prolonged time did the testing fluid indicate enough hydrocarbons.

https://www.amazon.com/UVIEW-560000-Com ... 000NPDL76/
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

93wagonship
First Gear

Post by 93wagonship »

This is the bad news confirmation test? lol

Thanks again for the useful info and the link (already added to current shopping list).

cheers
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yup, that just confirms your suspicion :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

93wagonship
First Gear

Post by 93wagonship »

Diagnostic confirmed for early stage blow HG: Image

Bought BECK/ARNLEY 0322891 Cylinder Head Gasket / Head Gasket Set trying to save a buck. Imagine how happy I was when I opened: It's just a Nakamoto? rebranded package, not Beck Arnley's (pics bellow).

After reading more I've decided to go the FelPro way (FEL-PRO 9854PT). The reviews online are from people that actually used them. Should have searched better before...

There are two links bellow with some shots of both gaskets. They seem to be made from the same material (hey, I'm no expert), although FelPro's finish looks much better, and the FHI logo FTW.

cheers

B/A 032-2891 album: http://s936.photobucket.com/user/fotopa ... k%20Arnley

FelPro 9854PT album: http://s936.photobucket.com/user/fotopa ... O%209854PT
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Those both look like graphite gaskets to me. I kind of prefer those to the MLS steel gaskets because they can tolerate surface imperfections better. The felpro ej22t HG set is the MLS material. Just got to make sure the surfaces are in good shape (as you should do for your engine too) before installing.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.