96 subaru legacy outback 2.2l blown head gasket

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

thatsme87
First Gear

96 subaru legacy outback 2.2l blown head gasket

Post by thatsme87 »

I bought a 1996 Subaru Legacy Outback with a 2.2 liter engine in it it has a blown head gasket it appears that the valve covers leak oil pretty badly, it has a slight knocking sound but I think it's a hydraulic lifter. It started up and ran good other then the blown head gasket, however it blew the spark plug out of the #3 cylinder. It's throwing several codes as well one was a miss fire on cylinder #3 before it blew the spark plug out. It was also indicating a slight knock code PO325 sensor 1 circuit. , and a heater O2 sensor code PO141. Camshaft position sensor code PO340 sensor A circuit. And a idle air code PO505 idea air control system. And a PO100 mass or volum air flow circuit. I was hoping to replace the head get seals and valve cover gasket seals and be good to go, but know I am a little worried about how the engine is shap wise, I can get a used head for the side that blew the spark plug or I could maybe try a heli coil kit any thoughts on all this?

I found a decent looking used engine however it has a egr system on it and mine does not so I am wondering if they are compatible or not? Mine is a manual transmission.
thatsme87
First Gear

Re: 96 subaru legacy outback 2.2l blown head gasket

Post by thatsme87 »

I also have a question on head gaskets, autozone has some napa has some people say only ever use the oem ones is this true? Them I talked to one person at the auto parts store and they said you should put a copper gasket sealer by permatex on the head gasket before installing them is this good or really bad? Amy input would be awesome.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'm going to move this to the engine forum.

It sounds like you may have more than one issue here, but you really need to focus on what you know is wrong (head gasket and spark plug hole). Is the blown head gasket on the same side as the blown spark plug? If so that makes using a helicoil or similar fix like a Time-Sert that much easier. I'd also recommend getting the head checked for flatness and possibly machined if needed. I would then go back with a Subaru head gasket without any sealant/gasket maker on there.

Regarding the used engine with EGR, all you would need to do is plug the EGR port on the head with a bolt/plug and then use the non-EGR manifold that came on your car. So it's really a pretty easy swap if you know the EGR engine is in better shape than your current one.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
thatsme87
First Gear

Post by thatsme87 »

Thank you for the input it sounds good I have taken the engine down to the heads and main block so I am hoping to night to have the heads off and inspect the spark plug hole for damage to see how bad it is I picked up a used head off another engine just incase. The heads on both sides are leaking oil externally but I think it's on the drivers side that's leaking into the water .
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

It sounds like the engine was overheated if you're having issues with both heads.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

What year is the egr ej22? All you really need it to swap intake manifolds and sensors over from the old engine, and block the egr port on the head as Josh mentioned. Simple.

*So long as it's a 1990-early 98 engine
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
thatsme87
First Gear

Post by thatsme87 »

So bad news the head on the passenger side creaked across the head from spark plug hole to valve on both sides of the hole, so I am going with a used head from another engine. I am wondering if the heads need milled or not I put a straight edge on the heads and the drivers one looks like the biggest gape is around .003 and on the passenger side head I could not get a .0015 under it. Any thoughts. Thank you for the input so far
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I wouldn't use that engine. Your bearings should be degraded from the overheating, to the point where it'll be a ticking time bomb.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Sounds like it was overheated pretty badly. I'd lose some trust in that engine, but I have seen an EJ25D that was overheated so badly that the inner timing covers melted off the engine and the knock sensor was a pool of molten plastic. Some new HGs, and 10k+ miles later that EJ25 is still running great. Doesn't even have any piston slap.

If you have access to another compatible engine, I'd go with that like Mike said. If you have the time and money to reseal and replace some parts on the current engine without caring if it's a total loss, you can do that too, but it's far riskier.
thatsme87
First Gear

Post by thatsme87 »

So I found a used engine looks to be in great shape, it does have the egr system on it so I am going to swap the intake off of my engine, and get a plug for the cylinder head any one know right off what size that is?. I think this is all that needs to be done to make it compatible for my car. I will also have to put a knew timing belt on it and re torque the drivers side cam pully some one removed it to take the timing belt cover off so I have to put all that back together. This motor did come out of a automatic transmission car, and is going into a manual transmission car so I took the torque converter off and will install the clutch plate and all on this knew engine. Thank you so much for the help.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

EGR port bolt: 16mm-1.5 is the thread size.

Based on this: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=2461823
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
thatsme87
First Gear

Post by thatsme87 »

Thank you so much for all the help. I have the car up and running replaced the engine, though I have a miss fire on cylinder #3 but only under load like going up hill otherwise it does not
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Check the plugs, wires, and ignition related items.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT