Turbocharging the EJ22E?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

janas19
In Neutral

Re: Turbocharging the EJ22E?

Post by janas19 »

OK, this thread got to be pretty long but I've narrowed it down to the EJ22T or EJ25D swap.

A final question for those who have done it before: deck blocking. Is it possible to deck the block without disassembling or is disassembly necessary? I'd rather not break it down unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks for the advice!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

In your turbocharging scenario, what engine management are you planning to use?

The block halves need to be split to deck them.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
janas19
In Neutral

Post by janas19 »

Stock ECU.

Crap, if I split the block, then I'm basically rebuilding anyway. The advice is to avoid rebuilding the bottom end and just swap. But there's no way to deck the block without disassembly. That's a bummer.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

I've never seen a running EJ that needed the block decked, and I've gone at least as far as headgaskets on nearly a hundred engines. You won't need to split the block or have the surfaces decked if you start with a runner.

Generally on an overhead cam engine, I avoid decking even during a complete bottom end rebuild since any of the material you take off of the block or head sealing surfaces affects cam timing.
WRXish
First Gear

Post by WRXish »

janas19 wrote:That's great advice Josh. Thanks for all your help.

After all the feedback, I think I may just slap 22T heads on a stock 22E, run 5 PSI boost, and call it a day. A full rebuild appears excessive for my modest goals. If the engine blows, then it blows and I'll have to rebuild.

I'll have a higher compression ratio with NA pistons than turbo pistons, but it should be fine with proper thermal management. I need a proper intercooler, upgraded pump and injectors so it doesn't run lean, and timing control. That *should* be adequate protection against detonation with the stock ECU for engine management.

Think I got all my bases covered, unless you see something I'm missing.

Jamie
Jamie, from my own experience with project WRXish I would say having humble expectations for the project, at least initially, until you see how things work out, is a really good idea. I can't begin to tell you how far over budget I went with my build because partly once I saw that it was going way over, I stopped keeping track...I no longer have the luxury of doing that, and I understand that you dont either. Keep your eyes open for deals, and above all you must be patient and wait for them to appear. I didnt in some cases and it has cost me dearly. That said, you have a good bunch here willing to help and there is a good knowledge base. I cant help you much personally with turbo stuff cause that really isnt my thing but I understand your sense of urgency and wanting to get it done...I wrestle with that all the time as I attempt to debug mine. I hope your project goes off smoothly and with very few problems. I sure wish I could say mine did. i am hoping I get to finish mine this year...
Davins94ss
In Neutral

Post by Davins94ss »

Did you ever get the build done?