92 legacy SS ECU code troubles

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Jackthesubieripper
In Neutral

92 legacy SS ECU code troubles

Post by Jackthesubieripper »

Hey guys, Im new on here so hello everyone! The reason I am posting today is because I am having some problems with ECU codes. To start, my car is 1992 legacy turbo (SS) and it was originally an automatic but the last owner swapped it with a 5 speed (car still has auto ECU). I checked the codes from the ecu and it came back with...
12 - starter switch
13- cam angle sensor
22- knock sensor
23- air flow sensor
24- air control valve
32- oxygen sensor
45- atmospheric pressure sensor
49- improper airflow sensor

When i connect the green connectors and put the car in "D check mode" the car flashes at me with only....
22- knock position sensor
51- nuetral switch (can start car without clutch engaged)
52- abnormal parking switch (reverse lights im guessing arent wired up right.)

when i go through the procedure of the which is required for "D check mode" and also connect the black one wire clip to get codes cleared to see what comes back, i get code 22, 51, and 52 and it seems that nothing has cleared.
I am confused to as why my codes are not clearing, and I am trying to clear them to make sure that huge list above is just a bunch of old codes. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!
-02 wrx 2.7 stroker , 2.0 heads RIP
-92 legacy ss SOLD
-93 legacy ss restored SOLD
-92 Legacy ss Intake, turbo inlet, turboback exhaust, FMIC, ssqv recirc, mbc, fcd.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Re: 92 legacy SS ECU code troubles

Post by wtdash »

Hi and Welcome,
Fix that knock sensor (KS) which is VERY common to fail (likely cracked), and you'll likely cure your other codes as well. If you have a pull and save/used auto parts nearby the '95+ modes were better and will work. You MAY have to 're-pin' the connector.

Otherwise, I've heard the cheap ones avl. online/Auto parts stores are OK to use.

GL,
TD

P.s. Yes, you need to replace the KS first....then report back.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS.

I agree with Todd about the knock sensor. These are common failure points and would be a good thing to check and replace. The other thing I'd suggest is using a multimeter to check the resistance of the knock sensor wire from the engine connector to the ECU. This wire can get brittle and crack which causes more headaches. If the wire checks out good, take a look at the knock sensor; there will probably be cracks in the plastic body. Also look at the color of the knock sensor connector. The newer style knock sensors I believe have a white connector vs. the older ones being gray.

Check out the stuff you need to know forum for links to service manuals and other wiring diagrams.

Also, it sounds like some things may not have been done correctly or completely when it was converted to MT. I'd encourage you to read over the electrical section of my AWD & 5MT swap. I go into detail as to what is needed to make the ECU and other electronics happy. Look at that and let me know if you have any questions/thoughts.

www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/swap/electrical.html
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Jackthesubieripper
In Neutral

Post by Jackthesubieripper »

Thanks for the speedy reply guys! sure enough my knock sensor was cracked. It was a A63-000 R00 and i replaced it with a 22060 AA031 that I had laying around in good condition. Car runs great now and pulls smooth, though idle is still low (im thinking IACV) and I am still throwing codes for 32 (oxygen sensor) and 51 and 52 (looks like I have some electrical to tinker with) Somtimes at its low idle i feel a small intermittent misfire, maybe the its not liking the low idle ?
-02 wrx 2.7 stroker , 2.0 heads RIP
-92 legacy ss SOLD
-93 legacy ss restored SOLD
-92 Legacy ss Intake, turbo inlet, turboback exhaust, FMIC, ssqv recirc, mbc, fcd.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Regarding codes 51 & 52, I'd suspect the AT/MT identifier pin wasn't pinned correct for the swap and may still have the TCU & key interlock. I'd check those things first before checking a bunch of other stuff.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm