Did my homework. Grade me plz =)

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

janas19
In Neutral

Did my homework. Grade me plz =)

Post by janas19 »

I’m doing all my homework for my next DD. The 940 Turbo Sedan is getting tired and I don’t want to put any more money into a Swedish import sedan- I want a Subaru Legacy AWD wagon! Budget is a real issue, I don’t have wads of cash lying around to throw at a WRX Turbo swap with rebuilt internals and harness merge. So to make the best DD with a little more get up and go, here’s my revised plan (thanks to you guys’ input!):

1995 Legacy 5MT chassis
EJ251 Phase II SOHC 165HP 2.5L NA motor
Delta 1000 street cams
Stainless steel EL headers
Cold air intake
PnP heads (maybe, not sure if worth extra $$$)
High flow cat (when I get the extra dough)

The hope is to gain 10-12 HP over stock for around 175. I’ll probably drop the AC compressor, put in some alloy wheels, bucket seats, and maybe a rear disc conversion. That should drop the weight another 100lbs. With the Phase II 2.5L engine, bolt-ons, and lighter 2nd gen chassis, the car should have a HP to weight ratio that’s equal to or higher than the Impreza 2.5RS.
Last edited by janas19 on Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:16 pm, edited 8 times in total.
janas19
In Neutral

Re: Did my homework. Grade me plz =)

Post by janas19 »

Some background

Since not many people have swapped the Phase II EJ251 into a Phase I EJ22 vehicle, I have gathered what little information I could. Seems like an entirely doable swap, with a few small caveats. Here are some examples I was able to find:

Phase II EJ251 into 1990 Legacy swap, write-up:
http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/top ... r-impreza/

-He uses the 2.5 longblock and manifold with the 2.2 throttle body and coil pack. He made adapter plates for the TB and coil pack, and the IACV is ziptied and bypassed. Except for losing cold idling, his engine swap seemed to go very well. However it looks messy and I want a clean, stock look.

1996 2.2 Phase I to 2.5 Phase II swap (Brock): http://www.dirally.com/forums/showthrea ... e-problems

1993 Phase I to 2.5 Phase II (armigerlives): http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1546144
Last edited by janas19 on Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
janas19
In Neutral

Post by janas19 »

Engine Swap (the blueprint)

My plan is to swap the EJ22E with the EJ251 longblock and use the EJ22E harness and ECU. In order to do that and keep it as clean and stock looking as possible, some modifications are required. Here’s a WIP catalog of 2.2 engine management parts and their compatibility with the 2.5 longblock. This is what I was able to find so far - if you know better please tell me and I will edit it.

EJ22E sensors to EJ251 longblock, direct fit:
Temp sensors (using the 2.2 crossover pipe)
Cam sensor
Crank sensor
Oil pressure sending unit
Knock sensor

EJ22E parts that require modification:

1) Fuel injector connectors
Solution: file down ears on 2.5 injectors (easy) or splice 2.5 connectors.

2) Coil pack & ignitor
Solution: Use 2.5 coil and connector. Splice 2.2 wire harness to correct pins. (NASIOC conversion thread post #8). Unplug 2.2 external ignitor and jump connectors.

3) IACV
The 2.2 IACV is located on the manifold and has a 3 pin ECU connector. The 2.5 IACV is located on the TB and has a 6 pin ECU connector.

Solution: The 00-01 2.2 Impreza has an IACV with 3 pin connector on the TB. Idea is use the Impreza TB, splice the 2.5 connector onto the 2.2 harness. Hope the TPS will also be interchangeable. Picture: http://imgur.com/a/yZvUX
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I haven't looked through all the external links, but what do you plan to use for the ECU?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
janas19
In Neutral

Post by janas19 »

Just the stock EJ221 ECU and harness. Most of the driving will be done under 4000 RPM, hence the stock ECU.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Do you know what size the 2.5 injectors are? They are not likely to play well with the ej22 ecu, especially if they are a different flow rate. You'll either run rich or lean, neither is ideal.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm