RTV or No RTV for Valve Cover Gasket Replacement - SOHC 2.5

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Brisky
First Gear

RTV or No RTV for Valve Cover Gasket Replacement - SOHC 2.5

Post by Brisky »

Hey Guys,

I am getting ready to do a valve cover gasket replacement on my 2001 Subaru Legacy GT, 2.5 EJ252 SOHC engine using the Felpro gasket kit to fix an oil leak.

So I found this awesome right up here on how to replace the valve cover gasket:
http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t51254- ... stall.html

However, he does not mention using RTV at all.
In my Haynes manual, it seems to indicate that only turbo models or DOHC engine require any RTV at all.

Here he says just to press in the new gasket onto the cover.

However here on a DIFFERENT engine (turbo Forester) the instructions state to use Permatex Right Stuff gasket maker on the covers themselves and press in the gasket on top of those.
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin ... ohc-70127/

So my question is should I use any RTV at all or just go with the original instructions and use no RTV?

I read somewhere that if RTV is not used on the cover side anyway it will eventually leak again.

Thanks again!
Last edited by Brisky on Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

2001 Legacy GT - Sedan - White - Manual

18inch TSW Wheels, Federal SS-595 Tires, Centriic Rotors, Stoptech Brake Pads, STi Exhaust, & Torque Solutions Shifter bushings
mike-tracy

Re: RTV or No RTV for Valve Cover Gasket Replacement - SOHC

Post by mike-tracy »

I have seen rtv called for in factory service manuals, so subaru did start recommending it at some point. I don't think my 1991 Legacy FSM calls for it. SL-I forum has a huge service manual collection that I helped build, back in the day. You have to be a member to download them, but it's worth it to see the final word from subaru about your specific engine.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
86BRATMAN
Second Gear

Post by 86BRATMAN »

I highly recommend using rtv on the spark plug tube seals to valve cover connection. This is the most common, and annoying, leak point on those valve covers. Leaks there will leak to misfires because oil will fill the tube and ground out the plugs.
Brisky
First Gear

Post by Brisky »

mike-tracy wrote:I have seen rtv called for in factory service manuals, so subaru did start recommending it at some point. I don't think my 1991 Legacy FSM calls for it. SL-I forum has a huge service manual collection that I helped build, back in the day. You have to be a member to download them, but it's worth it to see the final word from subaru about your specific engine.
I did download the FSM for my model year from there already but have not found where it talks about replacing the valves. I even searched for "rocker cover" as I saw that was what it was called in other FSM screen shots but no dice.

I am guessing it was not called for in the N/A SOHC engines as my research has not had that show up for it in other forums. Still I want to try and do it once and not have to worry about it.
86BRATMAN wrote:I highly recommend using rtv on the spark plug tube seals to valve cover connection. This is the most common, and annoying, leak point on those valve covers. Leaks there will leak to misfires because oil will fill the tube and ground out the plugs.
I don't yet have misfires, but I do have some small traces of oil on my passenger spark plugs, which is what has prompted me to do them.
Brian

18inch TSW Wheels, Federal SS-595 Tires, Centriic Rotors, Stoptech Brake Pads, STi Exhaust, & Torque Solutions Shifter bushings
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I would agree about RTV on the spark plug tubes.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

I do a lot of SOHC EJ25 reseals, and I've never used RTV and can confirm it is NOT called for in the FSMs. I don't seal the spark plug tube gaskets either. It's my experience that if the surfaces are nice and clean and you perform regular oil changes, the seals last a good 100k at least.

I took apart a Forester SOHC EJ25 once with 232k and no leaks (not even HGs), I just did all the seals because the engine was out for it's first clutch job at 232k.
Brisky
First Gear

Post by Brisky »

Alphius wrote:I do a lot of SOHC EJ25 reseals, and I've never used RTV and can confirm it is NOT called for in the FSMs. I don't seal the spark plug tube gaskets either. It's my experience that if the surfaces are nice and clean and you perform regular oil changes, the seals last a good 100k at least.

I took apart a Forester SOHC EJ25 once with 232k and no leaks (not even HGs), I just did all the seals because the engine was out for it's first clutch job at 232k.
Wow okay.
I guess that answeres that question.

Do you use Fel-pro or only OEM gaskets?
Brian

Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

I only use OEM for gaskets, I get a parts discount and the difference between aftermarket and OEM cost-wise isn't worth the potential headache to me.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Alphius wrote:I only use OEM for gaskets, I get a parts discount and the difference between aftermarket and OEM cost-wise isn't worth the potential headache to me.
Even with a cost difference I'd still also recommend Subaru/OEM.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Brisky
First Gear

Post by Brisky »

Well the Fel-Pro kit on Amazon has pretty good reviews (only exceptions are when the wrong part was purchased).
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Since the cost is $26 for Fel-Pro and $80+ fo OEM I am going to go with that route. If I have to do it again I might then pay the extra money but for now the cost difference is not worth it.

Thanks guys.

I will be tackling this on Friday. :D
Brian

ICEMANFiZ
In Neutral

Post by ICEMANFiZ »

I've changed over a dozen using Felpro blue gaskets. They feel and look the same of the overpriced oem ones. They work awesome! No sealants needed! Although you can use a little on inside of valve cover to hold gasket in place for placement, especially on drivers side where it can be really tight! But just spotted in a few places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ICEMANFiZ
In Neutral

Post by ICEMANFiZ »

Doing a set on a 94 as we speak... Felpro and no sealant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brisky
First Gear

Post by Brisky »

Yeah I decided to use the Fel-Pro and not use any RTV since it was not called for in the FSM.

Here are my pics.

Brian