Wrx heads

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

zeke
First Gear

Wrx heads

Post by zeke »

So i had my throw out bearing come off my pressure plate the other day so i have to pull the engine out to fix this. I have oil leaking out of my passenger side head so i was going to fix the head gasket and i have a couple sets of 205 heads and intake. I wanted to swap them over when i did my 5 speed swap but the tps wouldn't swap over i was reading if i used a throttle body spacer i could clear the throttle linkage. I was wondering if i swapped my cam pully and used the Ej22t throttle body would my stock Ej22t ecu run these heads and 440 injectors until i can get a stand alone ecu? Any insight would be appreciated thanks.
91 ss Ej22t dohc td04 sti Slanty haltech elite 1500
mike-tracy

Re: Wrx heads

Post by mike-tracy »

I don't think anyone has done this successfully before, but it would be cool if it worked.

You would need to use a matching crank sprocket as well. Will the old style cam gear (with the timing pips) fit on ej205 heads and will the timing belt still be inline/not distorted with the other 3?
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
zeke
First Gear

Post by zeke »

I will be using my ej22t short block so the crank gear wont be an issue as for the cam gear fitting i think that i will I'll be pulling the engine tomorrow morning so i can see if they are the same. I will be documenting the process so if i am successful with it I can let others know.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

The cam gears do not interchange between the phase 1 and phase 2 DOHC heads. The timing pattern is not the same and the diameter of the mounting surface is different too.

The shortblock is the easy part as it's pretty generic to the electrics and the crank sprockets interchange. Cam timing, IAC, and TPS are the difference makers and need to match the ECU. Some of those items also force you to choose a specific type of intake manifold or throttlebody for the type of ECU.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Phyrram, you can get phase 2 dohc cam gears with the old timing marks - my ver 6 ej207 heads had em.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

mike-tracy wrote:Phyrram, you can get phase 2 dohc cam gears with the old timing marks - my ver 6 ej207 heads had em.
Interesting. I have not run across that tidbit yet. Does the matching intake manifold use the old style 'circular motor' IAC valve or the newer PWM 'piston' style?
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

PhyrraM wrote:
mike-tracy wrote:Phyrram, you can get phase 2 dohc cam gears with the old timing marks - my ver 6 ej207 heads had em.
Interesting. I have not run across that tidbit yet. Does the matching intake manifold use the old style 'circular motor' IAC valve or the newer PWM 'piston' style?

I didn't use the intake nor the cam sprockets, can't help you there. I swapped timing and intake for usdm ej205 stuff.
zeke
First Gear

Post by zeke »

I was going to find a spot on the manifold to tap and drill for my iacv i have a few sets of phase 2 heads ej22e ej205 and ej255 so i can see if any use the old style pattern. Ive also decided to go with a Haltech sprint 500 ecu to run it all so if i cant find a cam gear that will work I'll just have to wait a month or two until i get the ecu. If i have to wait I'll just use the wrx heads and intake unmodified with the new ecu. The other thing I've been concerned about is my compression ratio being 7.4:1 i dont want to have to get new pistons if i dont have to i have phase 2 non turbo 2.2 pistons not sure if thats a good idea or if i should have the heads shaved or just run more boost to compensate i plan on running around 20 psi once i get the new ecu.
zeke
First Gear

Post by zeke »

Im also already running a td04 with a 93 sti slanty intercooler i have a 2004 wrx intercooler that i probably will use once swap the heads and intake if im not mistaken it should fit without bashing the firewall because the intake sits farther forward.
zeke
First Gear

Post by zeke »

So i just found a complete Ej25d i know i wouldn't have any issues with the wiring if i went this route i did read somewhere on here but can't find any solid info if the cams in those heads will be an issue on a turbo car. Does anyone know if the stock cams will be fine or should i find some ej20k g or h cams if i go that route instead.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Turbo cams significantly improve 25D heads in a turbo application. There is more overlap on valve events with 25D cams. They'll work, but they aren't optimal.

Old-school cam gears on Ph2 engines was a JDM only thing. Like others have said, Ph1 cam gears will not work with Ph2 heads.
zeke
First Gear

Post by zeke »

Ok thats good to know. So with the overlap of the 25d cams are they still better than the sohc turbo heads I've been looking for a set of turbo cams that will work but haven't had any luck yet.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

The 25D cams are fine, the heads flow much better over about 4-4.5k than the 22t heads do.
zeke
First Gear

Post by zeke »

Cool I picked up that ej25d last night gonna start tearing it down and tapping the oil and coolant returns. Does anyone know if the 22t crossover will clear the 25d intake manifold. I've been doing a ton of research on here about the dohc swap but can find much on people doing the ej25d heads mostly h and k swaps.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Coolant crossover will fit, people do the 20k & 20g head swap since they are cheapish, common, make for a good turbo experience, and don't need to be drilled and tapped (probably something outside of what the average enthusiast is willing to do).

Check out the "DOHC swap unspoken details thread" in the sticky for more info if you haven't already
zeke
First Gear

Post by zeke »

Yeah ive read through it a few times might need to re read it again i also noticed that on the valve covers they say 4 cam 16 valve the engine came out of a 98 forester and i thought that they were only like that on the MY 96 legacy gt. I'm just wondering if this is not the original engine im going to pop the valve covers off in just a bit ans see if they have hla or shims to find out for sure.
zeke
First Gear

Post by zeke »

I just read the dohc thread over again and it made me have 1 more question will my ej22t injectors drop into the 25d railsand if not will my old rails work?
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

22t injectors don't fit the 25rails properly, you really need ej20g rails.
zeke
First Gear

Post by zeke »

Yeah i checked them out and found a way to use my 22t rails on the 25d manifold i also pulled the valve cover and they are shims and buckets so im guessing that someone has just swapped the covers. I plan on putting new rings and bearings in it just because it has over 200k miles on it having trouble finding rings though. Are the rings turbo specific and if so would the dealer be the best option?
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I don't know if the rings are turbo specific. I currently have NA rings in mine and they fit the turbo pistons fine.

When I checked the 22t fuel rails in my dohc manifold, the ends were cocked 45* off, so I couldn't use them. I used 20g rails with my 22t pinks, and ran a full ej20g engine with a 22t ecu for a while. Worked fine.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Rings are indeed Turbo specific in the parts catalog. Whether it really makes a difference, probably not.

12033AA390 is the Std bore ring set for an EJ22t. It's been discontinued from Subaru, so I guess you'll have to run what you can find. When it was available, list price was $125.
zeke
First Gear

Post by zeke »

Well I am not showing any signs of worn rings I was just thinking might as well freshen up everything I can but if I cant find the proper rings might as well not fix whats not broken. My heads have me a little confused because they look like the 96 lgt heads but they are not hla my heads look like this

and I though 98 Forester heads looked like this

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

It's a set of phase 1 dohc heads, non turbo. Possibly from a foreign market. Are you not going to use them?
zeke
First Gear

Post by zeke »

I do plan on using them I was kind of wondering if the valve cover gasket is different between the two styles.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Yes, the gaskets are different between the two styles.