Misfire and stuttering under load.

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Re: Misfire and stuttering under load.

Post by beatersubi »

Well... she runs smoother and the hesitation seems to be gone after swapping out the coil pack. I just filled up, so I'll be able to see if my mileage went back up from the ~21-23mpg it was down to.

Oldandslow, did you install a new replacement coil pack?
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
93.20G.5sp
In Neutral

Post by 93.20G.5sp »

beatersubi wrote:Well... she runs smoother and the hesitation seems to be gone after swapping out the coil pack. I just filled up, so I'll be able to see if my mileage went back up from the ~21-23mpg it was down to.

Oldandslow, did you install a new replacement coil pack?
Definitely keep us updated, I have the exact same issue as y'all do, if I keep it under 10% throttle or so it'll rev to redline however. I took the coilpacks out and redid the wiring (GD coils) to them, it seemed to help some. The coils looked ok but maybe there was hairline cracks.
1993 Legacy Touring Wagon - EJ20G and 02 WRX 5SP Swapped
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Filled up today to find that the car got 25.4MPG. Not the best that she's ever done, but a definite improvement. And the with the stuttering/hesitation gone when she gets into positive manifold pressure, I'm less hesitant to take her there.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
subiedoutlegacy
First Gear

Post by subiedoutlegacy »

beatersubi wrote:Filled up today to find that the car got 25.4MPG. Not the best that she's ever done, but a definite improvement. And the with the stuttering/hesitation gone when she gets into positive manifold pressure, I'm less hesitant to take her there.

I read through the whole thread and realized that you never smoke tested the car. I had almost the same exact issues which is on here due to the intake manifold being cracked. Try smoking the car to see if there is any leaks.

Thought I would throw that in since I experienced a lot of issue like you and would of never thought it was my manifold (I even changed the manifold gaskets and didn't see the crack :shock: )

This is my thread with similar issues:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53649
91 Mica Ruby Legacy Sport 550 Robtune
94 White Pearl Legacy L SOLD
04 San Remo Red Impreza WRX
04 Java Black Pearl Impreza STI
94 Crimson Pearl Legacy Sport Partout
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

subiedoutlegacy wrote:
beatersubi wrote:Filled up today to find that the car got 25.4MPG. Not the best that she's ever done, but a definite improvement. And the with the stuttering/hesitation gone when she gets into positive manifold pressure, I'm less hesitant to take her there.

I read through the whole thread and realized that you never smoke tested the car. I had almost the same exact issues which is on here due to the intake manifold being cracked. Try smoking the car to see if there is any leaks.

Thought I would throw that in since I experienced a lot of issue like you and would of never thought it was my manifold (I even changed the manifold gaskets and didn't see the crack :shock: )

This is my thread with similar issues:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53649
That's a good suggestion. But I think replacing the coilpack has resolved my issue. This might help the OP, though. Oldandslow, did you ever check for leaks under positive manifold pressure?
Oldandslow
In Neutral

Post by Oldandslow »

Well I finally figured it out. Took it to a local speed shop and the dude there was super knowledgeable. Had a whole table of spare parts ready for when I got there. He threw a used maf on and voila! Car runs great now! Check engine light has gone off as well and stays off. It's still slow haha but at least the drive-ability is there. Now the only thing wrong is my speedo reads 12 mph too fast. At least that's not a huge issue.
1991 Legacy SS 5spd
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Oldandslow wrote:Well I finally figured it out. Took it to a local speed shop and the dude there was super knowledgeable. Had a whole table of spare parts ready for when I got there. He threw a used maf on and voila! Car runs great now! Check engine light has gone off as well and stays off. It's still slow haha but at least the drive-ability is there. Now the only thing wrong is my speedo reads 12 mph too fast. At least that's not a huge issue.
Good to hear.