Highest Mileage EJ22T Stroker Builds? (2.3x Liter)

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

RoboBoost
In Neutral

Highest Mileage EJ22T Stroker Builds? (2.3x Liter)

Post by RoboBoost »

Hi Legacy Central community,

I have an opportunity to build an old EJ22T motor into stroker via a 79mm crankshaft, but I wanted to ask you experienced EJ22T gurus before proceding:

1. How many miles are you getting from your stroker EJ22T builds with a 79mm crankshaft and what machining (if any) did you use to make it perfect?

2. What fuel, turbo, and boost are you using and for how many miles?

3. Which "hybrid" heads did you choose and why? (ex: ej207 vx? / ej257 / etc)

4. What wheel power and torque level is your build producing?
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Re: Highest Mileage EJ22T Stroker Builds? (2.3x Liter)

Post by PhyrraM »

1. Zero miles. It's been on the engine stand for years. I used a phase 2 EJ25 crank with the 52mm journals, aftermarket forged non-turbo length phase 2 EJ25 rods (common before the EJ255/257 came out), custom forged pistons to mach my exact hardware choices and desired compression ratio. The block was machine to use the phase 2 #5 thrust position.

3. EJ20K non-STI heads with EJ20K STI/RA cams. Because that is what was available and can run on basically stock Legacy SS harness.

Unless your building a track car or a highly overpowered street car, I suggest giving a EJ255/257 block and build serious consideration. Much more support available, much newer parts, much more information to build upon, cheaper at this point, etc. etc. The EJ22t glory days were before Subaru developed the semi-closed decks.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
RoboBoost
In Neutral

Post by RoboBoost »

PhyrraM,

Thank you for your honesty. I saw another ej22T stroker build (79mm crank) on youtube that failed a few thousand miles? later because of bad rod or journal bearing issue. I've yet to hear of any confirmed high mileage Stroker EJ22T hybrid builds, hence my curiosity. How about the rest of you stroked EJ22T gurus?
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I don't know if anyone with a stroked ej22t is still actively checking the site. I met a guy who had sold his, built by Frantic Four, and he said he had years of reliable fun with it. A 2.34 DOHC build. His forum name was tfarrer, though I don't know if he was ever active here.

When you go stroked, you lose the quick rev nature of the ej22/ej20. Your car doesn't rev as fast or high any more. It would be the same story with an ej25, except you'd have 0.16L more displacement to spool the turbo that much quicker with.

From a technical standpoint, I'm not sure how a properly built stroker would fail any sooner than any other built motor. There was a poll on nasioc about how long built motors lasted, and the vast majority didn't make 25k miles IIRC. I think the build quality and especially tune plays the biggest role in longevity. Perhaps having the internals balanced plays a key in the higher HP builds as well.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Clearances. Your clearances are dictated by your HP goals. 300ish HP can use basically factory clearances and get close to factory durability.

As you raise your HP goals, you need to increase your clearances for the higher temperatures that will be encountered (expansion of parts). This causes excessive clearance and wear during the 99% of the time your not producing full power and full heat generation.

Also most OEM pistons are now of a hyperutetic casting because of its low expansion rates that allow very tight clearancee to be used. This directly translates to longer life. Most built motors use forged pistons. While stronger, they expand more and require larger clearances.

Those are the main reasons "built" motors don't last as long.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

You're talking built motors in general, what about stroked motors specifically.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Built motors in general. For a Subaru stroker, find a way to not use aftermarket forged pistons that require large clearances.

OEM Hyperutectic pistons using OEM clearance specs combined with custom length rods (to keep quench correct) should do it.

Of course, OEM pistons with OEM clearances means OEM power handling. Drivability would be improved from the greater low end torque though. There are no magic bullets here. There is a reason the factory warrenteed EJ series STI has been stuck at 300HP for 14 years with only driveability improvements. 18 years if you go back to the EJ20K STIs at a claimed 280HP. If easy, reliable power was waiting to be had Subaru would have found it too.
RoboBoost
In Neutral

Post by RoboBoost »

I appreciate everyone's input. My understanding is different forged metals have different expansion rates and distances. Also, how the pistons are cnc cut affects their makeup, and how they react to heat and pressure in the cylinder.

What is your guys' take on the different metal types of forgd pistons and how they are manufactured? With today's technology, is there a better forged-piston-type for use in an EJ22T stroker build with a max power goal of 405 awhp (E85) and 375 awhp (93 octane)?
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I think you can't go wrong with any of the off the shelf stroker pistons for "only" 400whp, as they have proven to hold that much and more. Proper assembly with quality bearings, rods, and careful attention to clearances as phyram said (something an engine builder can help you calculate, rather than "some guys on the internet"). And last but not least, a high level standalone that your local tuner recommends and supports.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

RoboBoost wrote:I appreciate everyone's input. My understanding is different forged metals have different expansion rates and distances. Also, how the pistons are cnc cut affects their makeup, and how they react to heat and pressure in the cylinder.

What is your guys' take on the different metal types of forgd pistons and how they are manufactured? With today's technology, is there a better forged-piston-type for use in an EJ22T stroker build with a max power goal of 405 awhp (E85) and 375 awhp (93 octane)?

Almost all pistons are going to be aluminum, and I guess what you need to find out is what grade of aluminum alloy they use. I can't say I've done any specific homework to know what differences each manufacturer has, but I honestly can't see a huge difference since cost, durability, machining, etc all play a factor in the design. So unless you find a forged piston that is drastically different in cost compared to others it's likely going to be made from the same/similar alloy. In general aluminum alloys have similar thermal expansion coefficients, but do have a larger coefficient than steel.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/therm ... d_859.html
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Mister Anderson
First Gear

Post by Mister Anderson »

I have a EJ22T stroker. The engine has a EJ257 79mm crank in it. The block has been machined to accept a number 5 thrust bearing found on the newer cranks. I'm running BC STi 1.141 rods with Wiseco stroker pistons. I also had the rotating assembly balanced. The heads are ported EJ25D's with upgraded Supertech valvetrain, and Kelford camshafts. currently, the engine has around 1500 miles on it, and sitting on my engine stand since I'm stripping the car for seam welding/caging. The only issue I have had was a bad head stud that is unrelated to the machining/performance of the engine.

Here is the link to my thread that shows the number 5 thrust bearing machining after I picked up the block from the machine shop;

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52349

My build thread has more info on my heads;

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=48826
91 black SS 5 speed (Canadian).... Closed deck EJ20G, fully built, V5/6 sti ra drivetrain, haltech stand-alone
93 silver TW 5 speed... rebuilt 22T with 20G heads, wrx ra drivetrain, otherwise stock.
73 kazen red VW bus riviera camper
def09
First Gear

Post by def09 »

I made it @30k as a daily driver before a slight rod knock noise. Daily redlined :twisted: Have yet to take it apart and inspect it all.
Built with used 25d crank and used rods. Crank only needed a polish. Acl race bearings. 20k heads. 25d head gasket. Td05. Oem oil filters and Redline 5w30 and 10w30.
Could not have done this build without help from eric of frantic four. I learned a ton.
Act street clutch, 14 pd flywheel and lw crank pulley. So generally tough on center thrust and rod bearings.
Wiseco 2618 pistons always noisy when cold...wish they offered a softer set.

Im not on here enough but will post when i actually dismantle.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, keep us updated when you dismantle.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
def09
First Gear

Post by def09 »

Well...pulled it apart and it seems I have a broken crank in there. Right in the middle. Head scratcher for sure. Would have expected a lot of other stuff to break before this...like another five speed.