Machine crankshaft

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

zeke
First Gear

Machine crankshaft

Post by zeke »

So i finally had some time to split the block after finding that i had some crank walk and the thrust bearing is pretty chewed up on one side. I was thinking about just having the crank turned and polished and going with oversized bearings. I called a couple of machine shops where I live and one said they could do it but it would be about 4 weeks before they could get to it, the other shop said that you cannot machine the thrust journal. Now im not sure what shop to believe maybe the second shop just doesn't want to mess with it for whatever reason or it really cannot be done. The crank isn't gouged but its not 100 percent smooth either, if i run my fingernail across it I can feel the slightest little grooves. Has anyone here had their crankshaft turned or should I just try to find another crank?
91 ss Ej22t dohc td04 sti Slanty haltech elite 1500
mike-tracy

Re: Machine crankshaft

Post by mike-tracy »

I know some people have had their cranks ground and gone with oversize bearings. In my experience, you can get a good used crank needing only a polish for less than grinding your current one.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
zeke
First Gear

Post by zeke »

Yeah I found a couple of sites for cheap cranks but not sure if they are new or remans

http://www.nopi.com/dsp_part_detail_16. ... nvid=61379

http://www.cleggengine.com/90-96-subaru ... t-kit.html

These are the two im looking at right now
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

If I had to guess the first one is new, and second one is used. I've personally never used a new crank, just kept bringing my machine shop used cranks till one that only needed a Polish was found ha ha. Never had an issue.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

There is nothing wrong with a properly machined undersize crank, as long as proper bearings are available. Weigh the cost of machining vs. the cost of a good crank. Also, be aware that your choice of bearing brand/type might not be available in all oversizes.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
zeke
First Gear

Post by zeke »

I would like to go with acl race bearings I think I'm sold on the first crank the machine shop that can take care of my crank is booked for at least 4 weeks maybe more.
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

I've heard that maybe the oversized bearings have a thicker thrust surface, but it is not mentioned in the acl or king catalogs for the actual ej22 bearings.
peter@functionauto.com
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

jamal wrote:I've heard that maybe the oversized bearings have a thicker thrust surface, but it is not mentioned in the acl or king catalogs for the actual ej22 bearings.
A mo-betta approach would be to have the case halves ground to accept the phase 2 style crank. The guy wants to get his car up and running without a 1 month wait at the machine shop though.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

By far the fastest way would be to obtain a good phase 1 75mm stroke crank (EJ18, EJ20, EJ22).

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
RoughDiamond
First Gear

Post by RoughDiamond »

Most shops are not equipped to machine crankshafts, let alone a Subaru cranks. Since the crank is identical across the board for 1.8. 2.0 (phase 1), and 2.2 (phase 1), a good used one is almost guaranteed cheaper.

And about the thrust bearing, I was doing a bit of research, and it turns out you can use a phase 2 set of bearings in a phase 1 IF the thrust face is machined. King bearings uses a different part number for #5 main (the main with the thrust for phase 2 stuff), but if placed in position 3 (like our engines), it's 0.5mm thicker overall. And WAY more available than the phase 1 bearing set.
1991 Legacy SS (BC) EJ22T // 4EAT // Pewter Metallic (Sold)
1991 Legacy SS (BC) EJ22T // 5MT // Rio Red (Sold)

1991 Legacy SSRS (BC) EJ20G (Full COP and AWIC Swap) // 5MT // White Pearl Tri-Coat Africa Rally replica in progress.