High pitch noise ONLY when idling? video

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

93wagonship
First Gear

High pitch noise ONLY when idling? video

Post by 93wagonship »

Hi guys,

Does anyone have ever had a noise like this? https://youtu.be/EwbYt6APXJs?t=64

I'm trying to pin point what the hell is this... there is a description in the video.

Any help appreciated. Many thanks.

Thiago
Wagonship: 1993 Legacy BF (High Roof Touring Wagon) EJ22 5-spd manual with low range \o/
Bobsaget
In Neutral

Re: High pitch noise ONLY when idling? video

Post by Bobsaget »

What have you checked so far? I've had a noise similar to this and it ended up being a bad tensioner pulley. The sound was also high pitched and only occured at idle speed. The only difference was that it was more of an intermittent noise and not a constant screech. It might be worth checking if you haven't already. I also wonder if it could be a throw out bearing or something to do with the clutch?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
93wagonship
First Gear

Post by 93wagonship »

Hi Bobsaget,

I reckon the noise actually started just before a head gasket / clutch job (as well as a transmission noise that is annoying me at highway speeds)

The clutch kit is of very good quality (Exedy) and the TOB does not appear to be causing this pitch noise or it would change / stop when the clutch is engaged / disengaged?

I have not yet checked inside the timing cover, but a bad tensioner pulley make sense (since the noise only occur when idling?).

The best way to look into that is by removing the belt or just opening the timing cover may suffice to diagnose with the engine running?

Many thanks!
Wagonship: 1993 Legacy BF (High Roof Touring Wagon) EJ22 5-spd manual with low range \o/
Bobsaget
In Neutral

Post by Bobsaget »

93wagonship wrote:Hi Bobsaget,

I reckon the noise actually started just before a head gasket / clutch job (as well as a transmission noise that is annoying me at highway speeds)

The clutch kit is of very good quality (Exedy) and the TOB does not appear to be causing this pitch noise or it would change / stop when the clutch is engaged / disengaged?

I have not yet checked inside the timing cover, but a bad tensioner pulley make sense (since the noise only occur when idling?).

The best way to look into that is by removing the belt or just opening the timing cover may suffice to diagnose with the engine running?

Many thanks!
I would imagine you're right about the clutch. If there's no change when engaged or not, it likely wouldn't be related.
Yes, that's what I would do. Just remove the cover and see if you can hear where it's coming from a bit better. If it is a pulley you should be able to pin point it. There's also that pulley tensioning the A/C that might have a bad bearing if you haven't checked.
Hope this helps. I'm just throwing things out there.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
93wagonship
First Gear

Post by 93wagonship »

I have already checked/replaced the AC idler bearing. Thanks for the input. Helped me realize I'll have to crack open that timing cover sooner or later. I've already purchased the tensioner bearing (just in case) and of course inspect the other idlers.

cheers!
Imprezafan93
First Gear

Post by Imprezafan93 »

Did you replace the flywheel pilot bearing with clutch? I would also vote for a timing component though, take off the belt and spin each pulley, if it is bad it will spin freely, you want those pulleys to barely move and be stiff
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Have you taken the PS pulley belt off as well to confirm that the noise is not coming from the power steering pump or alternator?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
93wagonship
First Gear

Post by 93wagonship »

Hi guys, did not had the time to pop timing belt yet. Suddenly I'll have to move south about 1.000 miles from here, busy time. Sold all other cars including the wife's, but kept the Subaru and will take my dogs in it.

@Imprezafan93: yes, pilot bearing was replaced (included in the Exedy kit), but flywheel not resurfaced since it was "looking good" according to the mechanic. Thanks for the info about the belt pulley. New one is stiff to turn, just like you said.

@Legacy777: yep, first thing as it only takes 10-15 minutes. Noise appears to come from bellow or from the "core" of the engine. Go figure. I've already checked the exhaust system for leaks too, but it sounds more like a bad bearing though.

So far I've driven around 8.000 miles and the noise did not get any worse (I was kind of hoping to, so I can pin point easily :))

Before you say it, I know I'm gambling a little with this car. And I'm about to go see houses next week, so at least 2.000 miles with return trip. Then move the dogs next month (another 1.000 miles). Say I'm out of my mind.

Will keep you posted.

cheers
93wagonship
First Gear

Post by 93wagonship »

Here's the wagon BTW. Looking neat and always a blast to drive. How I'm suppose to sell this car for pennies? Will keep ad infinitum.

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I think you're on the right track with one of the timing belt idler pullies. The one that will cause you the most trouble is the idler gear. If that one freezes it will shred the belt. If one of the pullies freezes it likely won't immediately shred the belt.

Here are some pictures of a belt I helped fix a few years back.

https://main.experiencetherave.com/suba ... ddedtbelt/
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
93wagonship
First Gear

Post by 93wagonship »

Thanks for the pics. I've took off the corner timing cover to take a look and the belt is still fine. If the noise gets worse, I'll just pull the car to the side of the road and find another transportation. It's risky anyway.
93wagonship
First Gear

Post by 93wagonship »

have put another 10k miles or so since and noise is still there when idle. Engine still running superb.
impostor
First Gear

Post by impostor »

I can't hear the noise that well on my phone, but possibly the IAC valve? A mechanics stethoscope will probably be your best friend in this case.