metal in oil pan

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

pabst90-ix
In Neutral

metal in oil pan

Post by pabst90-ix »

So while replacing my gaskets on my ej20k i cracked the oil pan open and found some metal. I assume its bearing material. Am i correct in this thinking? Is there a way to check the bearings? I have sent my oil in for a evaluation but im wondering if i can check the condition if the bearings or if the metal might be from somehting else. Here is a picture of the shavings. As always thanks in advance this is a major set back as i have just replaced all gaskets and was in the process of getting the motor ready to go in. Ia asking because they seem to narrow to be from bearings, i mean i feel like if they were they would be as wide as the bearing is. And i cant think of anywhere else they could come from.

mike-tracy

Re: metal in oil pan

Post by mike-tracy »

Yeah, that's pretty damning. Bearing material. I wouldn't use that short block unless it gets rebuilt. Sorry bud
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
pabst90-ix
In Neutral

Post by pabst90-ix »

Shitty well then im going to be calling jspec and asking for a replacement. Should i even bother with the analysis? Jspec is seeing what theyre able to do but i guess i will be requesting a new motor. Damnit so much time and effort, why did i wait to drop the oil pan, drained it found nothing now starting from scratch.
Last edited by pabst90-ix on Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

An analysis would be even better proof, especially if aluminum and copper come up in above normal amounts. Might be good to get the ball rolling with Jspec even before the results of the oil test though.
pabst90-ix
In Neutral

Post by pabst90-ix »

Notified them theyre seeing what options i have and getting back to me at the end of the day. But i dealt with onr guy yesterday who was trying to tell me its a used motor so i should expect some wear, which i couldnt believe. But the guy i spoke with today sounded like they were going to fix this. So im not sure what theyre procrdures are with some thing like this is. But hopefully the process moves smoothly so i can get my car an engine already.

Edit: they have responded qnd asked me to get a quote to have a shop go through the bottom end and replace the bearings. Gotta say thats some great customer service
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

That is a really good deal. You should get the shop to replace the rings with brand new, even if you have to pay out of pocket. Then the bottom end will be fully 'rebuilt.'
pabst90-ix
In Neutral

Post by pabst90-ix »

Will do im waiting to hear back from them. And ya im really happy with jspecs customer service on this. Was worried they were going to claim no responsibility.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If you replace the rings, you might as well have the shop check the bores for spec and out of roundness. They will need to do a light honing for the rings to seat properly and depending on the current tolerance it may require you to get oversized pistons. So it certainly can snowball....but it's better to do it right once.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
pabst90-ix
In Neutral

Post by pabst90-ix »

Thanks, They already mentioned they will check all of that for me, and already included price of rings into their estimate for them. And said they are open to dealing with jspec directly for me in order to improve communication and ensure im covered. Theyre going to do it all for 735, which is not bad in my opinion.

Edit: the 735 covers the bearing and rings and turning the crank and any honing required. also they are resurfacing my heads for $60. Jspec is covering 500 which is more than just the bearings and are willing to cover more with evidence of damage caused by the bad bearings. Honestly couldnt be happier with their customer service as the whole motor with a refreshed bottom end is ending up with out of pocket at 1400+260 for gasket kit.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That's good to hear they're standing behind things.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
pabst90-ix
In Neutral

Post by pabst90-ix »

Final Update with this issue. Block is is "great shape" says machine shop bearing was just starting to fail when pulled out of the car. Said it was probably just beginning to experience issues. Rings and bearings are being replaced heads and block surfaced. Get it tomorrow and will begin reassembling on monday, work as usual is getting in the way.

Thanks again for all of your advice/help guys this community is amazing!