Usdm 96 hla dohc heads on 2.2 t gasket and other questions.

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

oldbugeye
In Neutral

Usdm 96 hla dohc heads on 2.2 t gasket and other questions.

Post by oldbugeye »

I have searched quite a bit on here and haven't found exactly what I am looking for . Will I have head gasket issues with the big combustion chamber of the 96 hla head ? Can I use a thinner gasket to help compression? Some one built these heads and tapped them for turbo lines and I am building my motor and thinking about useing them . Anyone with experience and knows advantages or disadvantages of these heads would be appreciated. The more I read it seems like these are the wrong choice. But I have them and they are ready to bolt on .
zeke
First Gear

Re: Usdm 96 hla dohc heads on 2.2 t gasket and other questio

Post by zeke »

Ok I did this exact head swap on my ss a couple of months ago and I do not have any issues with the lower compression with the gaskets I used this is a link to the gasket set I went with https://m.summitracing.com/parts/cgt-c4 ... oCCOrw_wcB

I have a write up on here on how to adapt the Ej22t fuel rails onto the Ej25d manifold if you are running the stock injectors. I'm running the Ej25d camshafts still until I can get turbo cams but they run just fine. The car pulls way harder than it ever did with the sohc heads and I am very pleased with the daily drivableity of it. I'm running a Td04 and a sti Slanty intercooler. Do you have any mods done to your car or is it all stock still?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
91 ss Ej22t dohc td04 sti Slanty haltech elite 1500
oldbugeye
In Neutral

Post by oldbugeye »

My car has turbo back exhaust td04 at 15 or so psi and a forester intercooler . Also a ton of suspension and brake mods . It just scares me the the 2.2 head gasket is slightly smaller bore than the combustion chamber on the heads . Do you know anyone else who has done this with the 96 heads ? Thank you for your info I have the 96 intake manifold and I also have a 20g intake manifold that looks like it will fit also so we will see which one I use .
oldbugeye
In Neutral

Post by oldbugeye »

Also what cams work I have a set of 20g cams it was not the closed deck 20g . I don't remember if the heads were shim over buckets I would use those heads but the cam journals were bad .
zeke
First Gear

Post by zeke »

Its a 2mm difference which ends up to be a 1mm of open area which is tiny so I gave it a shot and so far so good. As far as the cams I'm not sure how to identify what cams you actually have maybe someone else on here knows. If I had an ej20g intake I would probably go with that one.

oldbugeye
In Neutral

Post by oldbugeye »

Has anyone else made these heads work ? I read on another thread on here to use the phase 2 2.5 head gaskets ? It would be great to get some more input before I bolt the heads on . Thanks
zeke
First Gear

Post by zeke »

You want the head gasket to match the bore I've read that the phase 2 2.2 might be an option but it may be too thin. From all the research I've done I couldn't find anyone but myself using this head and block combo. The only build I saw that was close to what I did was a guy over on nosiac that did it with a Ej22e short block and he said that he has no issues with it. I run my own car pretty hard with no issues either like I said I'm using the
.051 cometic mls gaskets and its going great still. Sorry I don't have longer time on this engine around 5000 miles so far. I would be curious to see if anyone else has tried this I really doubt I'm the first.

oldbugeye
In Neutral

Post by oldbugeye »

Well I got the gaskets that you used in the mail today my bearings and rings come on Friday . So we will see , I am skeptical about the longevity of the gaskets with the bigger combustion chamber . Thank you for all your help . It is cool to hear that you can feel a bit more power .