How should I build this giant cube!? Build recommendations

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

marsh27
First Gear

How should I build this giant cube!? Build recommendations

Post by marsh27 »

Alright so my 93 tw decided it didn't like the launch control too much spun a rod bearing..

The motor has 191k miles on it so I'm definitely going to get machine work done. And since it's getting worked on, why not build it right? :)

So the car has a 550 robtune ecu with all supporting mods and these extras
Apexi avrc ebc
wideband afr
5 speed swap
Td05

Now for starters Money is not a big issue for me. But time is. Yes this is my daily driver so that means I would like a Reliable build... (holding back a little laughter) and would like to have it done within a month or 2.

Okay so I'm waiting on a shipment of some 20g heads and intake I came across recently. Reason for these heads is because I would like to keep the robtune ecu and I don't want to start cutting into the harness at all.

Now the bottom end is were I would like some input from all you gurus out there. I was considering a few routes for the build.. one being the stroker with 257 crank rods and custom piston. Another would be keeping the stock crank and getting new rods and custom pistons. If I keep the stock crank it will also have to be machined due to the rod bearing breaking. So that will add to the cost of that route.

I also have a ej22e I believe out of a 93na. Would any of the internals be a good option in the 22t block? What about building the na small block instead? I would like to be around 300 hp when all is done and still keep it enjoyable to drive out of boost and in traffic as it is my daily driver.

Any and all input is appreciated! Thank guys
93 fwd beater wagon
93 tw build in progress
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How should I build this giant cube!? Build recommendatio

Post by Legacy777 »

The cranks are the same between the turbo & non-turbo ej22's. So if your non-turbo ej22 crank is good then use that if you decide to keep the stock crank.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
WRXish
First Gear

Post by WRXish »

You mentioned a couple of things in your post that make what I am about to say relevant if you havent already stuck another engine in the car. Subaru now offers 3 yr/36k mile warranty on their factory short blocks if you can swing that financially. Seems like a great way to go for a daily driver. I am just about to pull the pin on one of the these for my own wagon for the simple reason I cant find a better warranty anywhere else or frankly a built short block that I have any faith in from any other source that is affordable. If you have already installed your engine this wont help you but it might someone else.
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

I'd wonder about the details of that warranty. Like, it probably has to be stock car and the block installed by a dealer or something like that.

You go and put a new oem block in some 30 year old car with a bigger turbo and a bunch of aftermarket parts and tuning and blow it up I don't think they'll just give you a new one. And it't not like you can buy a new 22t replacement shortblock these days anyway.
peter@functionauto.com