White smoke at higher RPM...advice please?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

big12gage
In Neutral

White smoke at higher RPM...advice please?

Post by big12gage »

So I have a 91 Subaru Legacy Wagon LS and it runs great. Doesn't feel like any lower loss trans is fine. So the white smoke isn't a lot and I already know I have a blown Headgasket. But my question is should I just replace the engine altogether, just do the Headgaskets and maybe new heads? I would hate to see this poor thing end up in a car graveyard as these guys are getting rarer by the day. Any input helps guys thanks! Image

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk
mike-tracy

Re: White smoke at higher RPM...advice please?

Post by mike-tracy »

If you can do the work, I'd say replace the head gaskets and have the heads inspected for warpage. If you have to pay someone, you'll come out ahead buying a used engine and replacing all consumables on it.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
big12gage
In Neutral

Post by big12gage »

Okay. I might look into replacing the engine altogether. It has 230k now and has original engine and I'm sure the Headgaskets sere only changed once before hand. Do you maybe know of any high compression engines that are around so I could a little more power out of it? Or should I just stick to the stock tank 2.2

big12gage
In Neutral

Post by big12gage »

And if I buy a new engine can it be any 2.2? Or better yet a 2.5 with good heads if I can find one?

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Any pre 1999 ej22 will work, you put your current intake manifold and sensors on, and away you go. An ej25 swap is an epic ordeal, a couple of people have done it if you want to search though.
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

Might as well turbo it before you do a 2.5 swap. Lol
the guy who had the really low winestone SS on the corvette wheels
big12gage
In Neutral

Post by big12gage »

Lol and watch the engine go boom after I know my Headgaskets are bad. I'll do that when I have another ej22 in my hands first [emoji114]

big12gage
In Neutral

Post by big12gage »

If I just do the Headgaskets which kit should I buy? And when I do this should I go ahead and replace all cylinder heads just because I know it's leaking? It already has new spark plugs timing belt filter all done by myself and kept up well on oil. But I don't have an engine hoist to pull the engine out myself...unless you can do it while it's in there? But I doubt it?

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

If you're just doing head gaskets, and want the best, then it's gotta be OEM. I used felpro on my old ej22 NA years ago and it's still ticking. You can do the ej22e head gaskets in that engine bay without pulling the engine. Its significantly harder than if you pull the engine. But I've done it.

99% chance you won't need new heads, just have a machine shop inspect them
big12gage
In Neutral

Post by big12gage »

Okay. If the job of changing them is easy enough than I just might do it myself. Is there anything major to watch out for when doing it like little pieces that spring out or might need to be scrubbed clean while I'm in there? Or anything else that's worth changing out while it's all open? Think I might try it myself to save a mechanics bill

big12gage
In Neutral

Post by big12gage »

So just how much of a mess am I getting myself into? Everything looks pretty straight forward as taking everything off goes. Just don't mix anything up. Can I get it done in a couple hours? And what should I clean while it's all open? Any more tips anyone? This will be my first ej22 teardown and she's my daily so I don't want to completely mess something up...

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

You gotta budget yourself a weekend at least. Out of the car I could see it taking a couple hours. Remember, you don't know if your head's are warped or not. If they need machining, that could take a few days, or a week+ if the shop can't get to it right away.

Just be methodical and replace anything consumable that you touch.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Try to arrange a car you can borrow short term till it's done.
big12gage
In Neutral

Post by big12gage »

It has newer spark plugs up from January, and I also did the timing belt at the same time myself which was a bitch to figure out the teeth at first. I have to take the timing belt back off again don't I? My girl friend has an extra car I can use for the couple days if I don't get it done on the weekend. And if my heads are warped wouldn't it be better to just buy new heads and replace them? I'll check up on the injectors too but I think I might just want to replace those anyway, Eventhough there never seems to be a problem with fuel delivery. What would be the most ideal to replace while it's open? I might as well get it all done at once and not do it again 6 months later. So the Headgaskets, possibly heads and maybe injectors?

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

You can get rebuilt heads if you want, but the old NA engines don't tend to crack or warp. Matter of fact it's almost unheard of, but it would be unwise to not have em checked. If you're concerned about the injectors just have them flow tested and cleaned and replace only the ones that fail.

You're going to want the buy a full upper gasket set for the engine. Replace every gasket and seal that comes with it as necessary. I wouldn't bother with the throttle body gasket, unless you remove it for some reason. You won't for a HG job. You mentioned timing belt replacement, did you do the water pump and belt rollers?

To do the HGs, you'll be unbolting the exhaust manifold, removing the full intake manifold, timing belt, power steering pump and ac pump. There isn't enough room to the frame rail to remove all the head bolts so you'll have to pull the heads with some left in. I would estimate putting everything back together to be about 20 times harder than doing the timing. But perhaps that's because I did it outside in the snow ha ha.
big12gage
In Neutral

Post by big12gage »

I did do the timing belt but it was at bad timing lol. The cars belt jumped as I was getting on the freeway so I towed it home and worked all night until I got the thing to start. All I did is buy a new belt. I didn't do the water pump or the rollers...i should have but money was tight then. I won't be doing mine in the snow haha yet. I gotta get it done though. So it definitely sounds like a couple day job to me. Would be a great learning experience. I love these cars