College ej22t daily

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

xxthatcrazyhobox
In Neutral

College ej22t daily

Post by xxthatcrazyhobox »

I bought an 1992 ej22t legacy sport sedan for $2500. I know its alot, but i pretty much bought it on impulse as my first car. I replaced the turbo (vf11 from a good guy candian, I'm sure you'll see this post) and re routed a bunch of vacuum lines. The car is rough, but it apparently has 60k miles on a new motor and 260k on the body. Not sure if this is true or not because it now has rod knock. Being in college i have little to no money to work with. My question is, what should i do? Do i need to pull the motor, and if so what parts should i buy? (links please, always get lead to the wrong part with out them.) Please help a brother out. I'm looking for reliability more than power atm. I do have plans to big turbo it (tdo5 or '15 wrx turbo) and forge up the internals later in my life. My original and standing plan is to restore it when i get out of college.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
mike-tracy

Re: College ej22t daily

Post by mike-tracy »

I feel your pain because I was in college when I built my first SS. I would recommend buying a beater for a daily driver, and relegating the SS to your fun car. They are awesome but *not reliable* at 25 years old, and are enormous money pits. I think I am on my 5th engine in my current 1992, though I rebuilt this one myself 2 years ago, and it's been good so far (knock on wood).

To get your 92 back on the road, I would start with buying an ej22t or ej20g short block and swapping that in, reusing your heads. Then you can rebuild the current block when time and funds permit.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
xxthatcrazyhobox
In Neutral

mike-tracy wrote:I feel your pain because I was in college when I built my first SS. I would recommend buying a beater for a daily driver, and relegating the SS to your fun car. They are awesome but *not reliable* at 25 years old, and are enormous money pits. I think I am on my 5th engine in my current 1992, though I rebuilt this one myself 2 years ago, and it's been good so far (knock on wood).

To get your 92 back on the road, I would start with buying an ej22t or ej20g short block and swapping that in, reusing your heads. Then you can rebuild the current block when time and funds permit.
Wouldn't it be cheaper to get a new crank and bearings? Not arguing, just want to know. Its hard as hell to find a decent ej22t engine out here, and whatever i do i need to make sure that its plug and play and that i wouldn't have to buy any extra parts down the road. Atm buying a new car is not available, I'm still making payments on the leggy and my bank makes me pay the $180 a month full coverage insurance. So I'm paying insurance for a not running car.

xxthatcrazyhobox
In Neutral

mike-tracy wrote:I feel your pain because I was in college when I built my first SS. I would recommend buying a beater for a daily driver, and relegating the SS to your fun car. They are awesome but *not reliable* at 25 years old, and are enormous money pits. I think I am on my 5th engine in my current 1992, though I rebuilt this one myself 2 years ago, and it's been good so far (knock on wood).

I didn't mention this, but the car still starts, runs, holds oil, and doesn't have any cracks (as far as i know).

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Dollar wise it could possibly be cheaper to rebuild. Timewise, a used block could be installed in a day with a helper.

I don't know what automotive skills you have, or if you have a place to work on it, cherry picker, or all the tools you need. Can you be carless for weeks while you wait for parts, or machine work (if needed), or while saving up for said parts?

At a very minimum, you'll need HG's, intake manifold gaskets, bearings and rings and a different crank. I've had luck with used cranks (aka ones that came from a healthy engine) and having the journals polished. The cost of a used crank and a polish is usually much less than having a rod knock crank ground down. Plan for brittle wiring to break, especially the coolant temp sensor, and possibly the cam and crank sensor wires. The plastic PCV lines also tend to break. The nipples on the coolant tank tend to break too.

While it's off, take apart your oil pump and inspect it for damage. If needed you can use another 10mm pump from an ej205 or ej255/257.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Upper gasket set including HG's: An example, not what I advise you to get. Personally I would go all OEM if I had the money. I've had good luck with Felpro HG's, so if you did get this kit, i'd recommend either using Felpro or OEM HG's.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apex-Head-Gaske ... ~0&vxp=mtr

Rings: Turbos use a different part number than NA rings, but I've been rocking these rings for 2 years @ 17 psi with a bigger turbo.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-90-98-SUBAR ... LQ&vxp=mtr

Bearings: You want the thrust bearing position #3 ones, in stock sizes, these should be correct. Early ej22e and all ej22t ones are the same.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-1994-Subar ... ~-&vxp=mtr

$2500 isn't a lot for an SS, but I'll bet you'll have at least 10k in the car before you're done with her ;)
xxthatcrazyhobox
In Neutral

Thanks, that's the plan! What bout options for engines? What is a direct swap to a 5 spd.

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

What do you mean by "options for the engines?" Do you mean forged pistons and forged rods, or?

Any 5 speed that came attached to an ej engine will work, and you pick a clutch that matches that transmission. Your car should have a final drive of 3.9, so grab the diff with the new transmission.

These are kind of basic questions that you can find by searching on the site. I don't mind pointing you in the right direction, but ya gotta do some searching too lol
xxthatcrazyhobox
In Neutral

mike-tracy wrote:What do you mean by "options for the engines?" Do you mean forged pistons and forged rods, or?

Any 5 speed that came attached to an ej engine will work, and you pick a clutch that matches that transmission. Your car should have a final drive of 3.9, so grab the diff with the new transmission.

These are kind of basic questions that you can find by searching on the site. I don't mind pointing you in the right direction, but ya gotta do some searching too lol
I already have a 5 speed stock with the car. I was asking what my options where for engine swaps that would work just by putting it in a hooking every thing up. I'm also open for forged parts options.

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Ahh gotcha. There's no other engine that's a plug and play, all will require some kind of wiring and/or harness swap.