Camshaft quality control, need some second opinions!

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

dankberries
Second Gear

Camshaft quality control, need some second opinions!

Post by dankberries »

Hey BBS,

I recently had some Cam's sent out to Kelford Cams New Zealand to be hard face welded to New specs.

I received the finished product back and wasn't exactly happy with what I was seeing. I've never had cams hard face welded before so I wasn't exactly sure what to expect. What I assumed is that I would receive cams back that looked to be OEM quality, that it would be difficult to see any work done other than a larger profile.

I tried referencing back to an older post from rallyak, he had received cams from Delta that where of poor quality. Unfortunately all the images in that post are broken, no thanks to photofucket.

I do understand the difficulty that comes with this kind of job, particularly the impurities of the existing metal and porosity. What I'm asking is, if this is normal quality of a hard face welding job, or is this not normal and poor quality.

Maybe some other members can chime in that have experience in this field.

As always, thanks for your input!

Last edited by dankberries on Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
93 impreza rally muffin
93 legacy ss Tarmac Terminator
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
killajamal wrote:Dank is actually German for "silly term which the kids have come up with to describe exceptionally choice marijuana.''
mike-tracy

Re: Camshaft quality control, need some second opinions!

Post by mike-tracy »

I don't know if that's normal, but that's what a couple people's dohc cams looked like from Delta as well. I know you've probably spent a ton of dough on em, and wanted em to look perfect, but in the Delta cam's case, they worked as expected despite the appearance.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.