EJ22D=153awhp. N/A. With room for more.

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

EJ22D
In Neutral

EJ22D=153awhp. N/A. With room for more.

Post by EJ22D »

Before I get started with this thread, I want to say that whoever said N/A EJ's couldn't produce significant power at low cost, or that N/A hybrids could not do so at low cost, will be enlightened a bit by this post. Even I once followed this folly of not paying attention to N/A EJ's and believing them to be low on potential. Never once did it occur to me to test the EJ22D's I built way back when. Curiosity got the better of me, and I tested my recent project out. $1,200 I put into rebuilding this engine, total.

My project consists of Phase 1 1997 EJ20D heads on a Phase 2 2000 EJ222 block using EJ222 head gaskets at 0.8mm thick, producing a compression ratio of 10.6:1. As everyone should be well aware of by now, Phase 1 heads of ANY kind are inferior to Phase 2 heads, so if Phase 2 guys are reading this, you will be thinking correctly. You CAN will make more power than Phase 1. How you go about it depends on your initial approach to naturally aspirated power. I will focus on how I did it, and all readers can take it from there.

EJ22D powered 1996 Subaru Legacy LSi producing this power.
EJ22D Subaru Legacy LSi Dyno Run 2 - YouTube

Also, I'd like to say that with 1997-1999 EJ25D heads on an EJ222 block, this is also theoretically possible WITH portwork and hotter cams. The chambers do not need to be touched for any reason at all. In fact, I will release the list of components that helped my EJ22 achieve such power. Some will not believe, but rest assured, without them, my EJ22D would have produced much lesser numbers without a doubt.

List of components used for EJ22D:
EJ20D heads, valves, and valve springs (1997).
EJ25D big plenum manifold (1996 LSi stock).
EJ25D wiring harness (1996 LSi stock).
EJ253 water pump (2006).
EJ222 block and head gaskets.
EJ205 oil pump (detailed).
EJ257 coolant crosspipe and sensor.
EJ257 timing assembly and extra roller.
EJ257 oil pan.
EJ257 Moroso oil pickup.
VMS lightweight crank pulley (1lbs).
Grimmspeed intake manifold spacers w/bolts.
Self milled heads via sanding.
Lightly ground intake ports.
Refreshened and seated valves.
4 extra straight pins for head gasket and head security (Str8 mod).
Custom head bolt torque sequence (2lbs tighter on the last 3 rules).
EGR disable.
Started with Dodge 420A coil, then upgraded to MSD 8239 (used for dyno run at ECS Performance), then further up to the Accel super coil for the SRT-4.
Early eBay UEL w/2.5in catback to unknown muffler (we'll call it the Noemi Spec C).
Raizin voltage stabilizer.
1997 Outback ECU (7x).
93 octane (USA).

End Result:

I drive it every day and until yesterday, the car got driven with spirit. I have since stopped to deal with a rear diff issue, which I will hopefully have solved before the next dyno run. If not, well, perfect reason for an STi 4.44 rear diff, right? Should make the 4eat a bit more spicy in the snow.
James614
Fourth Gear

Re: EJ22D=153awhp. N/A. With room for more.

Post by James614 »

That's pretty cool. Any chance of getting the graph uploaded so we can see the shape of the torque curve?
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

What does a stock one make on that dyno?
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
EJ22D
In Neutral

Post by EJ22D »

James614 wrote:That's pretty cool. Any chance of getting the graph uploaded so we can see the shape of the torque curve?
Graph 1 (paper).
https://i.imgur.com/6QKKfW0.jpg

Graph 2 (screen).
https://i.imgur.com/3R3gOU7.jpg

mike-tracy wrote:What does a stock one make on that dyno?
87awhp as was told to me by the tuner/operator. He pulled up a graph and showed me what his '97 single port 22E Impreza put down on it in comparison.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

That's a very impressive n/a torque curve.
From where do you source the EJ20D heads?
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
EJ22D
In Neutral

Post by EJ22D »

beatersubi wrote:That's a very impressive n/a torque curve.
I announced building the project on my FB and a friend responded with an engine he had planned to use. He, neither anyone else, could identify it. At first, I thought it was a full EJ20D from port size, but then he took the heads off and revealed the heads were sitting on top of an EJ205 block of some kind. Once he took the heads off and sent me pics of the cams, I knew for certain what was up.

As for where one can get EJ20D heads, start looking at Russian sites for them, since I had to translate Russian to get the info I needed about them. 97-99 EJ25D heads are just as capable as these with a bit of half-funnel porting to match the gasket size and some hotter cam grinds.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/96-98-Subaru-L ... up&vxp=mtr
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
WRXish
First Gear

Post by WRXish »

EJ22D wrote:
I announced building the project on my FB and a friend responded with an engine he had planned to use. He, neither anyone else, could identify it. At first, I thought it was a full EJ20D from port size, but then he took the heads off and revealed the heads were sitting on top of an EJ205 block of some kind. Once he took the heads off and sent me pics of the cams, I knew for certain what was up.

As for where one can get EJ20D heads, start looking at Russian sites for them, since I had to translate Russian to get the info I needed about them. 97-99 EJ25D heads are just as capable as these with a bit of half-funnel porting to match the gasket size and some hotter cam grinds.
Sometimes I would rather be lucky than good...this might explain why my lowly NA ej25D with all the head work runs so damn well...that is, when its running. I might have to find a dyno just to see what that silly thing is actually doing. You have picqued my curiosity now. When I had it built I had hopes of something like 200 hp at the crank. Now you have made me so curious!!! :) Its just by luck I ended up with a 25d to use as a rebuildable core for the guy that built the engine. Whether it was good luck or bad or a mixture, well I guess that remains to be seen. But it almost makes me want to rebuild the original ej22e and put the 25d heads on it if the engine ever has to come out again. Not sure how well that will work since its the 22e but I am sure someone here knows for sure.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

WRXish wrote: Sometimes I would rather be lucky than good...this might explain why my lowly NA ej25D with all the head work runs so damn well...that is, when its running. I might have to find a dyno just to see what that silly thing is actually doing. You have picqued my curiosity now. When I had it built I had hopes of something like 200 hp at the crank. Now you have made me so curious!!! :) Its just by luck I ended up with a 25d to use as a rebuildable core for the guy that built the engine. Whether it was good luck or bad or a mixture, well I guess that remains to be seen. But it almost makes me want to rebuild the original ej22e and put the 25d heads on it if the engine ever has to come out again. Not sure how well that will work since its the 22e but I am sure someone here knows for sure.
I was planning on building the same 22E/25D motor until I found a set of large-chamber 20G heads. That 22E/25D combo will lower the compression from either the 22E or 25D, but it is about perfect for a low-boost turbo that will maintain good bottom-end torque. Others have run it with good results.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.