Cam options for 25D heads

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

BiNiaRiS
First Gear

Cam options for 25D heads

Post by BiNiaRiS »

So my hybrid build will be coming out soon, and figured I should look at cam options while there's easy access.

What options are there out their for cams? I know EJ20k cams fit, but they aren't too easy to track down. Tomei? Anyone else make them?
mike-tracy

Re: Cam options for 25D heads

Post by mike-tracy »

Delta has or had a couple different options for ej25d/20k/20r/any other head in that family.

I've driven a couple cars with stock ej25d cams, and they were quite impressive. Tremendous torque and decent top end.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Mister Anderson
First Gear

Post by Mister Anderson »

I'm running Kelford 272's in my EJ25D heads. That was the only company I could find at the time that made cams for EJ20K/25D heads. I don't know if they still make them though. I thought I read something that Kelford was going to stop producing them.
91 black SS 5 speed (Canadian).... Closed deck EJ20G, fully built, V5/6 sti ra drivetrain, haltech stand-alone
93 silver TW 5 speed... rebuilt 22T with 20G heads, wrx ra drivetrain, otherwise stock.
73 kazen red VW bus riviera camper
BiNiaRiS
First Gear

Post by BiNiaRiS »

Mister Anderson wrote:I'm running Kelford 272's in my EJ25D heads. That was the only company I could find at the time that made cams for EJ20K/25D heads. I don't know if they still make them though. I thought I read something that Kelford was going to stop producing them.
How long ago was that? Their site has nothing listed.

I'm thinking my best bet is to just source some 20k cams at this point.
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Tomei, JUN, Roger Clark Motorsports, TechWorks, and Kelford have or had offered off the shelf Cam's for the JDM ver.4 STi ej20k/USDM ej25d.

Or alternatively, Delta Cam's, Web Cam's, and Kelford offer regrinding services.

Finding OEM JDM ej20k Cam's is a great option, one of, if not the hottest cam that came in a production Subaru, though they very difficult to find.
93 impreza rally muffin
93 legacy ss Tarmac Terminator
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
killajamal wrote:Dank is actually German for "silly term which the kids have come up with to describe exceptionally choice marijuana.''
BiNiaRiS
First Gear

Post by BiNiaRiS »

dankberries wrote:Tomei, JUN, Roger Clark Motorsports, TechWorks, and Kelford have or had offered off the shelf Cam's for the JDM ver.4 STi ej20k/USDM ej25d.

Or alternatively, Delta Cam's, Web Cam's, and Kelford offer regrinding services.

Finding OEM JDM ej20k Cam's is a great option, one of, if not the hottest cam that came in a production Subaru, though they very difficult to find.
My mechanic suggest Tomei, as he thought they made them for the 20k, but I don't see it listed on their site anymore. Looks like Kelford is the same, but it looks like they are still available as a regrind from Web.

JUN, RCM, and TechWorks, i'll have to look into. This is exactly the info I was looking for that is harder to come by these days.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Unless you have a hard on for aftermarket, Ej20R cams are the same as ej20k.
BiNiaRiS
First Gear

Post by BiNiaRiS »

mike-tracy wrote:Unless you have a hard on for aftermarket, Ej20R cams are the same as ej20k.
Not that I don't believe you but do you have any info to back that up? I know the 25D heads are very similar if not the same as 20R heads so I wouldn't be surprised.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Same cam part numbers as STI, though it got the wrx valvetrain.
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showth ... ?t=2168230

Marnix breaks it down with specs:
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpo ... ostcount=5

Translation of a translation, but offers general specs:
https://web.archive.org/web/20141207170 ... t/ej2o.htm
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I'd wager you could find ej20r heads for cheaper than just ej20k sti cams. If you could find anyone willing to sell ;)
monkeyposeur
First Gear

Post by monkeyposeur »

This is good info! I am thinking 25D or 20G heads are in my future. I can find 25D heads all the time at the junkyard so if I can just get the cams reground by WEB that would be pretty cool. Also good to know the stock 25D cams are pretty impressive.

I've read through some 25D conversion threads but if anyone knows of a super complete thread I'd love a link or two.

Are the 96 25D heads what I should be looking for?
93 SS - SOLD
03 WRX 22T/205 20GXT 350 whp
06 OBXT
95 BK - Sold to my neighbor.
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

monkeyposeur wrote:
I've read through some 25D conversion threads but if anyone knows of a super complete thread I'd love a link or two.

This is the most comprehensive thread you will find in regards to phase 1 DOHC info on this forum,
most other info is scattered from thread to thread. DOHC thread

Have a complete read through that thread if you have not so far.
The 96' heads are different in multiple ways from the 97-98' ultimately it boils down to the preference you want, but you will want to be clear on the differences of the heads and what they yield paired with your short block.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
killajamal wrote:Dank is actually German for "silly term which the kids have come up with to describe exceptionally choice marijuana.''
BiNiaRiS
First Gear

Post by BiNiaRiS »

dankberries wrote:
monkeyposeur wrote:

This is the most comprehensive thread you will find in regards to phase 1 DOHC info on this forum,
most other info is scattered from thread to thread. DOHC thread

Have a complete read through that thread if you have not so far.
The 96' heads are different in multiple ways from the 97-98' ultimately it boils down to the preference you want, but you will want to be clear on the differences of the heads and what they yield paired with your short block.
Oh man, i got some reading to do. Don't know how I never saw that thread...amazing that the photo links aren't broken. I should probably get in the habit of downloading stuff like this in case it ever dies.
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

A company called Cat Cams has some. I’ve been looking at their Rally profile for years.
http://www.catcams.com/engines/camshaft-setup.aspx#
2011 Mini Countryman S All4
1970 Honda Ct90
2001 Forester S of Doom - mowed down by a Cummins
1994/5/6/01/02/03/04/06/07/08 Impregacy OUtback SS STi Type R money pit- NEW RALLYCAR!!
Mister Anderson
First Gear

BiNiaRiS wrote:
Mister Anderson wrote:I'm running Kelford 272's in my EJ25D heads. That was the only company I could find at the time that made cams for EJ20K/25D heads. I don't know if they still make them though. I thought I read something that Kelford was going to stop producing them.

I think that was back in 2013. At that time they had to be made by order, so it took a couple of months to get them. Another thing to note is I had to machine the "steps/notches" that are side to side on the bucket/shim bores. The lobes would not clear the existing steps/notches.
91 black SS 5 speed (Canadian).... Closed deck EJ20G, fully built, V5/6 sti ra drivetrain, haltech stand-alone
93 silver TW 5 speed... rebuilt 22T with 20G heads, wrx ra drivetrain, otherwise stock.
BiNiaRiS
First Gear

Post by BiNiaRiS »

Mister Anderson wrote:
BiNiaRiS wrote:

I think that was back in 2013. At that time they had to be made by order, so it took a couple of months to get them. Another thing to note is I had to machine the "steps/notches" that are side to side on the bucket/shim bores. The lobes would not clear the existing steps/notches.
Do you think there was a benefit to running the Kelfords over 20k cams?
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

BiNiaRiS wrote:
Do you think there was a benefit to running the Kelfords over 20k cams?
Kelford 272 cams will have a bit more lift and duration than ej20k Cam's. You can't really say there is a benefit of one over the other, they both are in a different category of performance, ultimately that's a personal preference to suit your build.

The 20k Cam's do not require machining, but anything with more lift than that profile is likely to need some material taken out for clearance.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
WRXish
First Gear

Post by WRXish »

BiNiaRiS wrote:So my hybrid build will be coming out soon, and figured I should look at cam options while there's easy access.

What options are there out their for cams? I know EJ20k cams fit, but they aren't too easy to track down. Tomei? Anyone else make them?
Crower made me a nice custom grind for mine. Idle almost like stock and they claim rpm range 1500-7000. My experience with this grind is that if you are even moderately spirited in your driving you will love em. they really do work well. Not much torque under 2000 rpm but the engine doesnt fall flat on its face either...its very tractable down low, but fuel economy suffers under 2000. above 2000, very crisp responsive, boat loads of torque, good fuel economy. Above 4000, she be a beast, pulls hard to rev limiter, never starts to lay down up top. Course, thats with considerable headwork done. Your mileage may vary. Ask for crower part number F17714 - if you want the specs on this cam just ask me.
carfreak85
First Gear

Post by carfreak85 »

WRXish wrote:
BiNiaRiS wrote:So my hybrid build will be coming out soon, and figured I should look at cam options while there's easy access.

Crower made me a nice custom grind for mine. Idle almost like stock and they claim rpm range 1500-7000. My experience with this grind is that if you are even moderately spirited in your driving you will love em. they really do work well. Not much torque under 2000 rpm but the engine doesnt fall flat on its face either...its very tractable down low, but fuel economy suffers under 2000. above 2000, very crisp responsive, boat loads of torque, good fuel economy. Above 4000, she be a beast, pulls hard to rev limiter, never starts to lay down up top. Course, thats with considerable headwork done. Your mileage may vary. Ask for crower part number F17714 - if you want the specs on this cam just ask me.
Just post up those specs in this thread, please!
1975 Superstar Wagon
1984 GL-10 Turbo-Traction Wagon & Hardtop
1987 & '87.5 RX coupes
1987 RX Type-RA
2002 WRX sedan
2019 Outback 2.5i Limited
Mister Anderson
First Gear

Looks like RCM is making cams for the 20K; http://www.rallispec.com/eng_cam_rcmv4.html
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

I'd be interested to know if rallispec has any around or if you'd have to wait for them to come from RCM.

One of the kelfords is listed at one of my distributors but is out of stock. Might be worth sending kelford an email to see if the still make them or have any around. If I could bring any in the pricing wouldn't be much less than those RCM parts though. Maybe 50-100 less. And a fairly long wait if kelford has any.

On the other hand, why not just use a newer manifold and heads? A wrx 2.0 isn't very expensive these days and lets you do the under the manifold inlet, shimless buckets, top feed injectors, more cam options, etc.
peter@functionauto.com
BiNiaRiS
First Gear

Post by BiNiaRiS »

jamal wrote:I'd be interested to know if rallispec has any around or if you'd have to wait for them to come from RCM.

One of the kelfords is listed at one of my distributors but is out of stock. Might be worth sending kelford an email to see if the still make them or have any around. If I could bring any in the pricing wouldn't be much less than those RCM parts though. Maybe 50-100 less. And a fairly long wait if kelford has any.

On the other hand, why not just use a newer manifold and heads? A wrx 2.0 isn't very expensive these days and lets you do the under the manifold inlet, shimless buckets, top feed injectors, more cam options, etc.
That is a shit ton of work and what's it really going to do for me? 20k cams are pretty easy to find as well. That's probably what I'm going to end up doing. Or have them sent out to grind.
WRXish
First Gear

Post by WRXish »

I can offer another solution I didnt see offered here and I can tell you this is a combo that rocks. Crower makes cams for EJ25D heads Phase1 and I have a set in the heads that were on the engine in WRXISH. Good power from 1500-7000. Of course, my old leggy wont get to 7k but when the rev limiter cut in at 6800 it was still pulling hard.
Part number is F17714

Intake Duration 264 lift .337 clearance hot .006
exhaust Duration 278 lift .344 clearance hot .008

No CEL issues with this cam or low vacuum issues with the power brake booster...idle quality is almost stock...very very nice cam.