Need advice on rebuilding ej22

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

big12gage
In Neutral

Need advice on rebuilding ej22

Post by big12gage »

So my engine is slowing down. I have a 1991 legacy LS wagon. Recently gas mileage has gone down the drain and I know for an old engine with 235k+ miles on it, it needs some things. Anyway I want to take it out and rebuild it entirely. I want to know if theres anything I can replace when Everythings open that will increase the power of the ej22. I tried searching a little bit but it's hard to find real information. I would like to keep it as a non interference engine if possible. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Re: Need advice on rebuilding ej22

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

Put a turbo on it
94 Winestone SS 5MT Rob 550 20g. (Pickle)
Original WA car with 460k miles and climbing
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Need advice on rebuilding ej22

Post by Legacy777 »

You could put cams in it, however gas mileage will likely decrease. There's not a lot you can do with the non-turbo engines to get much more power out of them. A cam would be your best bet. However if you were ok with the power before, maybe the engine is just wearing out and refreshing it will bring it back to where it was used to.

Do you have an automatic or manual transmission? If auto, does it have those same miles? That may be another cause of your poor performance.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm