...car won't start [help]

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

r_0h
In Neutral

...car won't start [help]

Post by r_0h »

91 Legacy L-series Failed to Start
This morning was a normal morning for my car, the only thing different it was super cold. It snowed, it rarely does, but it did for the past couple days. I was in a rush and I turned my car on, took my de-icer spray, sprayed my windows and hoped back in the car and immediately drove off. It was a small trip to grab food, about a minute drive, I parked and came back, and it didn't start. "Nahh, this can't happen to me.."

Was it the batteries? I was told sometimes it's a slow start or even it wont start at all when it cold.
So I let it warm up a bit, and during lunch, I tried starting it up. Nothing, same sounds.
I tried jumping it with another car, let it charge for 2-3 minutes then started to crank it. Nothing.

The sound seems like it's cranking and trying to catch a spark & fuel but it's getting one or the other.

From what I read it could be the fuel rely or the fuel pump, or possibly the spark-plugs/distributor.

Before I start buying parts or anything, what could be the problem and what steps should I do to diagnose the problem?

What should I buy at the auto store to help fix this procedure? Things like started fluid or something else? I already have a multi-meter coming my way tomorrow..i plan on testing the fuses.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Here is a video of me putting starter fluid in the intake.
https://youtu.be/a6E129EQZOU
Last edited by r_0h on Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'91_ls
rallyak
Third Gear

Re: ...car won't start [help]

Post by rallyak »

Do you here the fuel pump when you turn the key on?
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
r_0h
In Neutral

Post by r_0h »

I put starter fluid in and it fired up. (I updated my first post with a video, check it out)

I my friend turned the key, and I put a pen down the gas tank to open that little door, but I didn't hear anything. He took the key out and tried 3 times, still no sound.

I also rented fuel pressure kit, from autozone - but had trouble finding the fuel nozzle area that connects to the fuel rail. I saw 1 or 2 but i thought it lead to the A/C line.

Also, I wanted to check the fuses but had trouble finding what goes to what because it was labeled weird.

'91_ls
r_0h
In Neutral

Post by r_0h »

Well it turns out i can skip checking the fuel relay or whatever and go straight to check if the fuel pump is getting power.
looks like it hasn't been changed in decades!
With it exposed, I turned the ignition and immediately put my ear directly under the fuel pump. No sound!
I unplugged the connector checked it with a light-tester, and showed it was getting power! Guess i might need a fuel pump.
'91_ls
scoobiedoo22
First Gear

Post by scoobiedoo22 »

This might be perfect timing as I just posted on an ebay listing for brand new OEM fuel pump assemblies. Check it out here:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=56275

Hope this works out for you!
1991 Legacy SS 5-Speed

1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
r_0h
In Neutral

Post by r_0h »

Just bought it! thanks!
'91_ls
Omega79
Second Gear

Post by Omega79 »

Just an FYI for you and anyone else that might come across this thread, with the key switched to on without starting you should hear that fuel pump cycle from the drivers seat as long as you're in a reasonably quiet area.
lucas wrote:There were multiple Legacys with 300k+ miles. Jesus will return on a Turbo Lego.
r_0h
In Neutral

Post by r_0h »

it was the fuel pump.

my next problem...it's going through gas 2times faster then it was originally.

I used the same sock, or strainer because the one from ebay broke, and the ones they sell at the auto store are smaller diameter. But i highly doubt that's the cause.

...could it be the fuel sensor because of a new fuelpump in the system? anyone have this problem before?
'91_ls
Omega79
Second Gear

Post by Omega79 »

Using fuel more quickly? Are you smelling unburnt fuel out of the tail pipe or is it filling up the charcoal canister or anything? Is it running horribly rich?
lucas wrote:There were multiple Legacys with 300k+ miles. Jesus will return on a Turbo Lego.
r_0h
In Neutral

Post by r_0h »

I see fluid coming out of the tail pipe, but when i try to smell it, it doesnt smell like fuel. Charcoal canister, hmmm need to check that.
'91_ls
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Are you still having issues or did you get this sorted out?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Omega79
Second Gear

Post by Omega79 »

Some moisture leaving the tail pipe is totally normal, and if it was excess gas it would be very easy to smell.

What sort of mileage are you getting and how are you determining that you're using more gas? The fuel senders (the little wire thing with the float on it in the gas tank) can corrode and give really inaccurate fuel gauge readings.

Getting as low as 20mpg around town is not unheard of with these cars...
icrman
First Gear

Post by icrman »

To connect the pressure tester just take off the fuel hose on the outlet of the filter. You would need a T fitting to adapt the gauge to the 2 hoses, the 2nd hose would be a stub hose that plugs into the filter outlet and the other hose goes the fuel rail.