A NEW heart for a wounded WRXISH

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

WRXish
First Gear

A NEW heart for a wounded WRXISH

Post by WRXish »

The 98 EJ25D that I struggled so much to get running in my 91 wagon is dead...the autopsy is essentially complete. I will create an exhaustive thread about its failure and the symptoms and diagnosis and what it took to get to the place where the engine had to come out and be disassembled and if possible post photos if I can figure out how to do that. Its a shocking and perplexing situation at best. But this thread is about its coming replacement.

Its replacement is to be a Phase II EJ25 but using my Phase 1 25D heads which have some nice port work work and larger cams installed. Thats the rub...I have two questions related to mixing the phase 1 heads on the phase two block...one, which head gaskets should I use? And 2, will all of the accessories like the coolant tube from the phase 1 block and all the other accessories that bolt on the front of the block, AC, alternator, power steering etc, bolt up like they did before? If you guys could answer this question fairly quickly, I will be placing the order for a new subaru short block which now comes with a 3 yr, 36k mile warranty from subaru!!! Cant beat that with a stick.

So if anyone can answer those questions for me, I will be on my way to maybe finally getting an engine that will live in my old wagon...and can move on to the much needed bodywork.
mike-tracy

Re: A NEW heart for a wounded WRXISH

Post by mike-tracy »

Subaru did infact use phase ii blocks with ej25d heads in the 1999 late production GT & Outbacks. So whatever gasket those got would be the ticket.

All the accessories bolt up just fine.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
WRXish
First Gear

Post by WRXish »

Thanks for that Mike...I will probably order the short block tomorrow then based on what you said. And you suggest using OEM head gaskets as opposed to something aftermarket?
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I've ran many ej25d's over the years and never had a HG failure on felpro's in that engine or any other (subaru or toyota). The OEM ones you buy now are an updated design that should last a very long time. I'm kinda on the fence. On one hand we all preach that OEM is the best, on the other hand Subaru used a substandard HG on over a decade of 2.5's.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.