Latest recommendations on Timing Belts?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

WRXish
First Gear

Latest recommendations on Timing Belts?

Post by WRXish »

I am, due to a set of unfortunate circumstances, about to have to go into probably 3 different engines in my driveway in fairly short order, and given the hassle of doing the timing belt replacement, will want to do that while I am in there. Is there a recommended brand other than OEM that is known to hold up well? I know at one time Gates belts were considered some of the best on the planet, but I have seen some posts suggesting that may not be true now, I would like to confirm or refute this and do this job once and only once and not have to touch it or think about it again for a long time. If anyone has had specific horrible experiences with a particular brand, that would be useful information. I see the Amazon brand Evergreen and wonder about that stuff...and of course a bunch of other unrecognizable names that they carry. Does Gates still make the OEM belts?
WRXish
First Gear

Re: Latest recommendations on Timing Belts?

Post by WRXish »

Also If there is a recommended brand would that be worthwhile to add to the compiled stickies info?
Omega79
Second Gear

Post by Omega79 »

I haven't used a Gates in years so I can't say anything to that. I'm a fan of Dayco and Rock Auto has them dirt cheap in a full kit right now. Just picked one up, has all the pulleys, tensioner, T-Belt, water pump and all the front seals for $140!
lucas wrote:There were multiple Legacys with 300k+ miles. Jesus will return on a Turbo Lego.
carfreak85
First Gear

Post by carfreak85 »

OEM parts or bust!
1975 Superstar Wagon
1984 GL-10 Turbo-Traction Wagon & Hardtop
1987 & '87.5 RX coupes
1987 RX Type-RA
2002 WRX sedan
2019 Outback 2.5i Limited