»  BC-BF Legacy Discussion »  Engine
#Hello! New here with some questions!

Custom Search
Login | Register




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Hello! New here with some questions!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:00 am 
In Neutral
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:37 am
Posts: 4
In short, I have an ej22t and ej205 heads with a full harness and ECU (from an 02/03 WRX) sitting in my garage.

I have no access to a computer right now and my phone doesn't seem to work well with the website or possibly it is user error haha. I have tried searching but I am only given a few results with no other pages to look at.

I am trying to read up on information regarding an ej22t block with ej205 heads and ECU. I am sure this build has been done many times (as I have been able to tell from some Google searches and nasioc results) and it would be great to use what I have!

That said, it seems like you guys are the most knowledgeable on this stuff as it seems every post on nasioc regarding the ej22t always has at least one person saying to come to these forums and chat here.

Thing is, I can't seem to find much info regarding measurements of what exactly I would be looking for if I used those heads and went with some forged internals. The stuff I have found has yeilded me no results when searching for the parts (mostly regarding pistons) and I am wondering if I am so late to the party that I have actually missed out and not much is made anymore and machining services are no longer offered.

Please tell me this is not the case and I am not just searching properly?


Profile  Offline
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello! New here with some questions!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:05 am 
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:52 am
Posts: 4693
Location: Des Moines, Wa
Hi and welcome. Wiseco sells off the shelf ej22t pistons that result in a 8.35ish compression ratio with those heads. They are oversized (you don't really want drop in pistons with how old your block is, and the likelyhood of cylinder ovaling).

You would use the thicker oem ej22t or other ej22t compatible head gasket. If you don't want to merge the wiring yourself, Iwire is the company that does most wiring harness swaps. You send both harnesses, and he sends back one that's plug and play with your car.

_________________
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress


Profile  Offline
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello! New here with some questions!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:17 am 
In Neutral
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:37 am
Posts: 4
mike-tracy wrote:
Hi and welcome. Wiseco sells off the shelf ej22t pistons that result in a 8.35ish compression ratio with those heads. They are oversized (you don't really want drop in pistons with how old your block is, and the likelyhood of cylinder ovaling).

You would use the thicker oem ej22t or other ej22t compatible head gasket. If you don't want to merge the wiring yourself, Iwire is the company that does most wiring harness swaps. You send both harnesses, and he sends back one that's plug and play with your car.


Thanks for the welcome and the reply!

That's what I was reading but I couldn't seem to find a website that sells those! I'll look around more or maybe even contact them. Yeah, I definitely would not want to just drop em in. I know people have had luck but I usually don't haha. A lot of people had said they got their stuff from a website called 6starspeed but it looks like they are gone. Not sure who they use for machining.

I found info on the head gasket and it seems a user on nasioc recommends the ej22e gasket. Is this the same as the 22t one or is it thinner? Yes, I have heard of iwire a few times. I even stumbled upon their post on nasioc where they teach you how to merge a harness!


Profile  Offline
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello! New here with some questions!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:37 am 
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:52 am
Posts: 4693
Location: Des Moines, Wa
ej22e should be the same thickness. ej221 (the phase 2 ej22) is thinner. ej22e will have close, but not exactly the same, holes for coolant as an ej22t head gasket.

My friend said that cometic makes a conversion head gasket that matches the holes on the 22t block and the ej205 heads precisely. I've only used ej22t gaskets on my 22t's, and have never had an issue with cooling.

_________________
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress


Profile  Offline
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello! New here with some questions!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:08 am 
In Neutral
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:37 am
Posts: 4
mike-tracy wrote:
ej22e should be the same thickness. ej221 (the phase 2 ej22) is thinner. ej22e will have close, but not exactly the same, holes for coolant as an ej22t head gasket.

My friend said that cometic makes a conversion head gasket that matches the holes on the 22t block and the ej205 heads precisely. I've only used ej22t gaskets on my 22t's, and have never had an issue with cooling.


Awesome! That is some great info!

Do you know a website that would likely sell the wiseco pistons? I went to their actual website and they don't have anything.


Profile  Offline
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello! New here with some questions!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:17 am 
Vendor
Vendor
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:34 am
Posts: 2479
Location: Missoula
Hi, I sell the pistons, and in fact recently sent some to a guy who was rebuilding his 22t. If you are ready to buy a set send me an email and I'll get you set up. If you need other stuff (bearings, rods, headstuds...) I can do that too.

JE also makes forged pistons for these cars. And in fact, they are both meant to be used with 2.5 dohc heads to get the listed compression ratio. Stock heads are 40cc, 25d heads are 47cc, while the 205 heads are 49.

The main difference between the JEs and the Wisecos is the compression height. The Wisecos have the stock 2.2 compression height and are meant to be used with a 0.051" or 1.3mm gasket. With wrx heads my math comes up with the same 8.35:1 CR as Mike said. JEs have the wrx compression height and should be used with a thinner gasket.

So anyway, your two options are
wiseco pistons, 1.3mm (0.051") gaskets- 8.34:1 CR
JE pistons, 0.7mm (0.027") gaskets- 8.8:1 CR

seems like the later 2.2 gaskets have the holes in the right places but I am not sure how thick they are. Cometics makes them in just about any thickness you could want. Other option that seems to work are the stock 25d gaskets. Right thickness, holes in the right spot, but a little bigger bore. That seems to not be a problem though.

_________________
peter@functionauto.com


Profile  Offline
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello! New here with some questions!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:42 pm 
In Neutral
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:37 am
Posts: 4
jamal wrote:
Hi, I sell the pistons, and in fact recently sent some to a guy who was rebuilding his 22t. If you are ready to buy a set send me an email and I'll get you set up. If you need other stuff (bearings, rods, headstuds...) I can do that too.

JE also makes forged pistons for these cars. And in fact, they are both meant to be used with 2.5 dohc heads to get the listed compression ratio. Stock heads are 40cc, 25d heads are 47cc, while the 205 heads are 49.

The main difference between the JEs and the Wisecos is the compression height. The Wisecos have the stock 2.2 compression height and are meant to be used with a 0.051" or 1.3mm gasket. With wrx heads my math comes up with the same 8.35:1 CR as Mike said. JEs have the wrx compression height and should be used with a thinner gasket.

So anyway, your two options are
wiseco pistons, 1.3mm (0.051") gaskets- 8.34:1 CR
JE pistons, 0.7mm (0.027") gaskets- 8.8:1 CR

seems like the later 2.2 gaskets have the holes in the right places but I am not sure how thick they are. Cometics makes them in just about any thickness you could want. Other option that seems to work are the stock 25d gaskets. Right thickness, holes in the right spot, but a little bigger bore. That seems to not be a problem though.


Wow! Awesome info as well! An email will be coming your way!


Profile  Offline
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello! New here with some questions!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:57 am 
First Gear
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:44 pm
Posts: 211
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
I built basically the same hybrid setup you are wanting to do. You can check out my build thread on NASIOC if you are interested: https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showth ... ?t=2696523

I used the Wisecos and chamber matched the 205 heads. I used an OEM 25D MLS head gasket. I have all the part numbers listed in my thread. I put the engine in my 03 WRX wagon. I hit 350 whp/310 tq with a Blouch 20G-XT. It's a fun setup.

_________________
93 SS - Wife's DD, Walbro 255, Boost gauge, POWER mode!, RobTune on the way!!!
03 WRX 22T/205 20GXT 350 whp
95 BK - Sold to my neighbor.


Profile  Offline
Reply with quote  

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 4 guests

Panel

Top You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
Search for:
Jump to:  

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Dizayn Ercan Koc