Hello! New here with some questions!

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Jade.Auria
In Neutral

Hello! New here with some questions!

Post by Jade.Auria »

In short, I have an ej22t and ej205 heads with a full harness and ECU (from an 02/03 WRX) sitting in my garage.

I have no access to a computer right now and my phone doesn't seem to work well with the website or possibly it is user error haha. I have tried searching but I am only given a few results with no other pages to look at.

I am trying to read up on information regarding an ej22t block with ej205 heads and ECU. I am sure this build has been done many times (as I have been able to tell from some Google searches and nasioc results) and it would be great to use what I have!

That said, it seems like you guys are the most knowledgeable on this stuff as it seems every post on nasioc regarding the ej22t always has at least one person saying to come to these forums and chat here.

Thing is, I can't seem to find much info regarding measurements of what exactly I would be looking for if I used those heads and went with some forged internals. The stuff I have found has yeilded me no results when searching for the parts (mostly regarding pistons) and I am wondering if I am so late to the party that I have actually missed out and not much is made anymore and machining services are no longer offered.

Please tell me this is not the case and I am not just searching properly?
mike-tracy

Re: Hello! New here with some questions!

Post by mike-tracy »

Hi and welcome. Wiseco sells off the shelf ej22t pistons that result in a 8.35ish compression ratio with those heads. They are oversized (you don't really want drop in pistons with how old your block is, and the likelyhood of cylinder ovaling).

You would use the thicker oem ej22t or other ej22t compatible head gasket. If you don't want to merge the wiring yourself, Iwire is the company that does most wiring harness swaps. You send both harnesses, and he sends back one that's plug and play with your car.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Jade.Auria
In Neutral

Post by Jade.Auria »

mike-tracy wrote:Hi and welcome. Wiseco sells off the shelf ej22t pistons that result in a 8.35ish compression ratio with those heads. They are oversized (you don't really want drop in pistons with how old your block is, and the likelyhood of cylinder ovaling).

You would use the thicker oem ej22t or other ej22t compatible head gasket. If you don't want to merge the wiring yourself, Iwire is the company that does most wiring harness swaps. You send both harnesses, and he sends back one that's plug and play with your car.

Thanks for the welcome and the reply!

That's what I was reading but I couldn't seem to find a website that sells those! I'll look around more or maybe even contact them. Yeah, I definitely would not want to just drop em in. I know people have had luck but I usually don't haha. A lot of people had said they got their stuff from a website called 6starspeed but it looks like they are gone. Not sure who they use for machining.

I found info on the head gasket and it seems a user on nasioc recommends the ej22e gasket. Is this the same as the 22t one or is it thinner? Yes, I have heard of iwire a few times. I even stumbled upon their post on nasioc where they teach you how to merge a harness!
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

ej22e should be the same thickness. ej221 (the phase 2 ej22) is thinner. ej22e will have close, but not exactly the same, holes for coolant as an ej22t head gasket.

My friend said that cometic makes a conversion head gasket that matches the holes on the 22t block and the ej205 heads precisely. I've only used ej22t gaskets on my 22t's, and have never had an issue with cooling.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Jade.Auria
In Neutral

Post by Jade.Auria »

mike-tracy wrote:ej22e should be the same thickness. ej221 (the phase 2 ej22) is thinner. ej22e will have close, but not exactly the same, holes for coolant as an ej22t head gasket.

My friend said that cometic makes a conversion head gasket that matches the holes on the 22t block and the ej205 heads precisely. I've only used ej22t gaskets on my 22t's, and have never had an issue with cooling.
Awesome! That is some great info!

Do you know a website that would likely sell the wiseco pistons? I went to their actual website and they don't have anything.
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Hi, I sell the pistons, and in fact recently sent some to a guy who was rebuilding his 22t. If you are ready to buy a set send me an email and I'll get you set up. If you need other stuff (bearings, rods, headstuds...) I can do that too.

JE also makes forged pistons for these cars. And in fact, they are both meant to be used with 2.5 dohc heads to get the listed compression ratio. Stock heads are 40cc, 25d heads are 47cc, while the 205 heads are 49.

The main difference between the JEs and the Wisecos is the compression height. The Wisecos have the stock 2.2 compression height and are meant to be used with a 0.051" or 1.3mm gasket. With wrx heads my math comes up with the same 8.35:1 CR as Mike said. JEs have the wrx compression height and should be used with a thinner gasket.

So anyway, your two options are
wiseco pistons, 1.3mm (0.051") gaskets- 8.34:1 CR
JE pistons, 0.7mm (0.027") gaskets- 8.8:1 CR

seems like the later 2.2 gaskets have the holes in the right places but I am not sure how thick they are. Cometics makes them in just about any thickness you could want. Other option that seems to work are the stock 25d gaskets. Right thickness, holes in the right spot, but a little bigger bore. That seems to not be a problem though.
peter@functionauto.com
Jade.Auria
In Neutral

Post by Jade.Auria »

jamal wrote:Hi, I sell the pistons, and in fact recently sent some to a guy who was rebuilding his 22t. If you are ready to buy a set send me an email and I'll get you set up. If you need other stuff (bearings, rods, headstuds...) I can do that too.

JE also makes forged pistons for these cars. And in fact, they are both meant to be used with 2.5 dohc heads to get the listed compression ratio. Stock heads are 40cc, 25d heads are 47cc, while the 205 heads are 49.

The main difference between the JEs and the Wisecos is the compression height. The Wisecos have the stock 2.2 compression height and are meant to be used with a 0.051" or 1.3mm gasket. With wrx heads my math comes up with the same 8.35:1 CR as Mike said. JEs have the wrx compression height and should be used with a thinner gasket.

So anyway, your two options are
wiseco pistons, 1.3mm (0.051") gaskets- 8.34:1 CR
JE pistons, 0.7mm (0.027") gaskets- 8.8:1 CR

seems like the later 2.2 gaskets have the holes in the right places but I am not sure how thick they are. Cometics makes them in just about any thickness you could want. Other option that seems to work are the stock 25d gaskets. Right thickness, holes in the right spot, but a little bigger bore. That seems to not be a problem though.
Wow! Awesome info as well! An email will be coming your way!
monkeyposeur
First Gear

Post by monkeyposeur »

I built basically the same hybrid setup you are wanting to do. You can check out my build thread on NASIOC if you are interested: https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showth ... ?t=2696523

I used the Wisecos and chamber matched the 205 heads. I used an OEM 25D MLS head gasket. I have all the part numbers listed in my thread. I put the engine in my 03 WRX wagon. I hit 350 whp/310 tq with a Blouch 20G-XT. It's a fun setup.
93 SS - SOLD
03 WRX 22T/205 20GXT 350 whp
06 OBXT
95 BK - Sold to my neighbor.