Legacy Turbo 2.0 car not run for 18 years worth saving?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Olduser1
First Gear

Legacy Turbo 2.0 car not run for 18 years worth saving?

Post by Olduser1 »

Before I travel to see another 1992 S2 Legacy this example hasn't been driven for 19 years, been in stored in garage. The only visible rust is on the front wings & at the rear of the roof, rear arches appear to be OK.

I wanted views as to whether the engine can be saved given lack of use - it has oil in at present .

At my age I reckon I have one more getting a car back on the road left in me.

What do forum members reckon?
mike-tracy

Re: Legacy Turbo 2.0 car not run for 18 years worth saving?

Post by mike-tracy »

I think it'll be pretty expensive since you'll be replacing every last gasket and belt. The wheel bearings, brakes could be siezed. Brake lines could be clogged, rubber hoses will be rock hard and crack if you look at them wrong. Coolant system may be corroded to the point it won't let enough flow through.

Shocks will be shot, springs may be sagging, axles will probably be split and busted etc. The gas tank will probably need replacing due to rust on the inside.

Personally I wouldn't go for it. If you have access to replacement parts and have the time and money to replace a ton of parts and consumables, and theres literally no running, or recently running turbos in your area, it could be a good long term project.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Olduser1
First Gear

Post by Olduser1 »

Mike, thanks for your comments, my concern would be electrical issues & sensor faults.
I may take t trip along next week to inspect further check the engine will it turn, then any compression etc smell the interior lift the carpets etc etc & talk in detail to the original owner.
There's very few of these vehicles left on the road i, every chance to find another to save cant be missed.
I'll keep the forum updated.
Olduser1
First Gear

Post by Olduser1 »

The car was bought on an auction site for £1700 or $2,200, it beats me.