Intake questions

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

thatsme87
First Gear

Intake questions

Post by thatsme87 »

I have a donor engine that has 80,000 miles on it and my old engine has 238,xxx miles on it. The intakes have very slight differences i do understand that you should always swap over the crank shaft pulley, both camshaft pulleys which i did do and the intake as well to insure that there is no problems with the difference. How ever due to the low miles abd great shape of the intake id line to be able to use it.! I can see there's some slight difference in the casting of the two intake were it goes into the cylinder head, on the old original one the base is very rectangular on both cylinders, on the knew ome its rectangular on the outside toward the cylinder heads and its rounded in on the inside edge facing the center of the engine. No idea why, or if it matters, the only othrr difference i can see is a extra Vacuum port on the passenger side of the intake on the knew engine, the old intake has both locations aswelll however the upper off the two Vacuum ports is plugged with a small metall hole plug. Any thoughts on this should be great otherwise i will keep moving forward with the safe option and use the old intake. Oh yeah if it helps the old engine is out of a 2001 outback and the knew engine is out of a 2000 forester. Both engines are 2.5l sohc engines phase 2 as far as i understand it. Thank you
mike-tracy

Re: Intake questions

Post by mike-tracy »

The vacuum port is for the cruise control on the Forester, and can be capped off, since your legacy outback doesn't use manifold reference vacuum.

Both those engines are rated the same HP and TQ, so I don't know what the differences in design are for. If you're dead set on using the nicer intake manifold, you probably can, through I don't know if there are any electrical incompatibilities with the harness, injectors or sensors on it.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
thatsme87
First Gear

Re: Intake questions

Post by thatsme87 »

Thank you that is definitely a small concern if the electrical does not match up.