More power from a 1990 L wagon ?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

A-A Ron
In Neutral

More power from a 1990 L wagon ?

Post by A-A Ron »

Hello all,

First post here, I just got this 200k mile wagon, totally rust free, immaculate interior. I want to make it my daily and am currently refreshing the suspension. Is there any way to eek a bit more power from the stock engine? It's my understanding that exhaust does very little for non-turbo cars... I don't want to do an engine swap but I'm open to a turbo but not if it won't melt the engine or if I have to replace the lifters etc...

thanks for your advice.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B32dlcblwV9 ... copy_link
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: More power from a 1990 L wagon ?

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS.

Realistically speaking you're not going to get much of any HP gains on the non-turbo motors. You can install cams, MSD DIS-2 ignition, exhaust, and intake. However, the gains won't likely be more than 15-20 hp if I had to take a guess. You'll spend quite a bit of money on those, especially if you can't get them used...plus installation.

Just adding a turbo can be done, but you will need engine management of some kind...plus it's not ideal.

The best bang for your buck is to do a turbo motor swap. Get a low mileage used EJ20G or similar and do the swap. That would be my suggestion if you want any substantial power gains.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm