We're to buy a good low mileage engine freon a trust worthy place

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

thatsme87
First Gear

We're to buy a good low mileage engine freon a trust worthy place

Post by thatsme87 »

Ive got a 2004 Subaru legacy outback with a 2.5l sohc engine in it that has a bad rod knock. That i am going to take it and replace ive heard you can buy a Japanese low mileage engine from some different places that have 40,000 miles or so on them does any one know were you get them. I am looking at the internet for some different ones but not really sure what's reputable. Any info would be great
mike-tracy

Re: We're to buy a good low mileage engine freon a trust worthy place

Post by mike-tracy »

I don't have a good recommendation for an importer but I have heard of people going that route successfully.

My concern is instead of the factory 165HP, most of those Japanese engines are 2.0L with 123hp. You'll really be able to feel that power deficit when you're driving your 3600lbs outback.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
thatsme87
First Gear

Post by thatsme87 »

Thank you I will defiantly keep that in mind. I will try pretty hard to make sure and find a 2.5l I was curious if there was any electrical swap issues being from a JDM engine instead of domestic.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Yes, you will have *all* the electrical issues if you attempt to install a phase 1 engine into your car. Or a phase 2 engine with AVCS. Or any JDM engine that has a different wiring pinout, or timing mark regime, or any other thing that the Japanese got that we didn't, that affects how the engine runs. This swap can easily turn into a nightmare that just sits for months or years as you research ways to fix driveability issues introduced with incompatible electronics. Remember the long discussions we had previously about your other cars?

If you are looking for a quick turnaround on this car, and want something that just works, find a good condition used 2.5L non-turbo shortblock, USDM, JDM, whatever, slap that between your existing heads, and be done. All years will work.

If you *have* to have that Japanese engine in your car, I'd recommend getting on a website that has owners of newer Legacys (this site is for 1990-1994 Legacys, all are welcome of course, just there's no knowledge base for the newer stuff). Ask people who have successfully done the swap, same kind of questions you're asking here.

I recommend SL-I.net as I used to be a moderator on there, and they had a decent amount of knowledgeable people. Unfortunately, with the advent of Facebook, most forums are dwindling and dying, and most of the active members have moved on. Legacygt.com seemed to focus more on visual mods, but could be a resource as well.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.