Engine rebuild time! How are my cylinder heads looking? (Also, possible timing issue)

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

OTTERMATIC
In Neutral

Engine rebuild time! How are my cylinder heads looking? (Also, possible timing issue)

Post by OTTERMATIC »

Here’s an Imgur album of my EJ22 cylinder heads : https://imgur.com/a/w1wQm4g

What’s your guys thoughts? This is my first time taking any engine apart, so I’m not sure what the normal amount of char and grime is for a 286,000 mile engine. The piston heads look a little rusty and dirty to me, but I’m not sure if that indicates anything.

Also, on my left side cylinder head (right side when facing the front of the engine, with the timing components), I notice that the valves are slightly open. This seems to indicate a timing issue to me, especially since that was the side I couldn’t get perfectly lined up when I was taking the timing belt I off. It was always a couple teeth behind, so I’m wondering if that contributed to my emissions issue and the slightly rough running engine.

So, should I be worried about anything or should I just start cleaning and putting the new gaskets in?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Engine rebuild time! How are my cylinder heads looking? (Also, possible timing issue)

Post by Legacy777 »

In looking at the pictures nothing stands out as really bad. The charred look on the cylinder heads is normal and not rust. Regarding the valves being open, if the cam is on the spot where the valves should be open then that is normal. When aligning the timing belt one of the cams is like that so again I don't think anything is particularly wrong.

With that kind of mileage the engine is probably just worn. Are you planning to have the cylinders checked and then oversized? I highly recommend you take the motor to a shop that knows subaru motors because they should be torqued down to a torque plate to ensure measurements are made properly.

Where about are you located?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
OTTERMATIC
In Neutral

Re: Engine rebuild time! How are my cylinder heads looking? (Also, possible timing issue)

Post by OTTERMATIC »

Unfortunately, being unemployed and that I only paid $400 for the car, I have a hard time justifying spending the $200 it’ll cost to have the heads resurfaced. I’m doing it by hand with sandpaper, some straight edges and a feeler gauge. They’re both warped only about .001”, though the left side head has some pitting and deeper marks that worry me.

I’m in Denver, CO so I know there are many reputable shops around me, it just keeps coming back to the cost. If there’s a place that’ll do it for around $50 I might consider it for the head with pitting.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Where is the pitting located? Is it around where the cylinder seals or another place on the head?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

OTTERMATIC
In Neutral

Post by OTTERMATIC »

It’s not around any of the holes for oil or anything, it’s just in the middle of the head in the thickest metal bits. So I’m not super worried about it.
OTTERMATIC
In Neutral

Post by OTTERMATIC »

I’m making good progress on the engine rebuild, just waiting on a helicoil kit to rethread one of the pulley bolt holes, and then it should be set to go back in the car!

I’m having an issue with my valve covers though, wondering if I’m missing something dumb. I’ve torqued them down to spec but they move slightly. Like I can jiggle them back and forth. Anybody have experience with that?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Are you sure you have the correct gaskets for the valve covers as well as the correct grommets for the bolts?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

OTTERMATIC
In Neutral

Post by OTTERMATIC »

It turned out I just forgot to put the gasket on one side. Put it in, torqued to spec, all seems well now!

I’m having an issue with my hill holder now though. It’s the only issue still holding me back. I posted about it in the Drivetrain section if you’re able to help!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Glad it was a simple fix, and I'll check out your other thread :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT