Resurfacing 2.2na block

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

al.goosr
In Neutral

Resurfacing 2.2na block

Post by al.goosr »

Howdy there fellas. New to the group, been wrenching on a few subbies here and there for a little bit now but was just wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks on resurfacing a block? Kinda being cheap at the moment. I took the heads to a shop due to them being extremely warped but I didn't notice any warping on the block just nicks,burrs, and gasket material that I couldn't get off with a scotch bright pad. Any help would be appreciated

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

arse_sidewards
First Gear

Re: Resurfacing 2.2na block

Post by arse_sidewards »

Buy a cheap Chinese surface plate and feeler gauge and use that to measure flatness. Even the crappiest surface plate will greatly exceed the flatness requirements for this job.

If it turns out you do need to surface it everything in this video applies to a block as well as a head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK2R2LdkLKs

These are really small blocks so it's pretty damn easy since you don't have to worry about maintaining flatness over 2ft. In the future just use a razor blade scraper instead of scotchbrite. Scotchbrite is a mild abrasive and leaves some of itself behind. Not the end of the world but not great either. Abrasives should generally be reserved for things you can fully disassemble and clean. You don't need to get the head down to bare aluminum to seal properly. The finished surface has a tolerable roughness (I have no idea what the spec is but I assure you there is one). Material transfer from the old gasket fills in a lot of the low spots (we're talking like ten thousandths of an inch here) but doesn't appreciably affect the sealing ability of the new gasket.
'93, '93 and '94 Legacy L, wagons, FWD and AWD, all are NA 2.2 w/ 4EAT.
al.goosr
In Neutral

Post by al.goosr »

You know I had watched these videos before and was wondering if the use of the 80 grit and 180 grit were legit. I snagged up 400 grit and 600 grit thinking that the 180 wouldn't leave a smooth enough finish but what do I know, clearly not a whole lot because I'm here asking questions but hey knowledge is key my friends. I got all the service specs for everything so hopefully it goes good

al.goosr
In Neutral

Post by al.goosr »

But hey if on the off chance that it doesn't work out I was considering snagging up a SOHC ej25 block and using my ej22 heads and wiring harness, accessories and whatnot to mash together a hybrid/Frankenstein engine. From what I understand from my research is that it lowers the compression ratio low enough to safely add boost. Id personally go the supercharger route with a eaton m62/m90 with a different ecu and fuel pump/injectors. Or find a totalled/salvaged WRX or better yet STI front clip and do a swap

al.goosr
In Neutral

Post by al.goosr »

So I couldn't find a surface plate anywhere or a machinest ruler of the same properties so I just got a thick steel ruler/square/level from harbor freight and ran with it, the smallest blade on the feeler gauge wouldn't slide underneath the hopefully would-be flat surface so hopefully it holds true. I got a spec for the headbolts and was wondering if it's the right sequence/torque. Anybody have any ideas if this is trueImage

al.goosr
In Neutral

Post by al.goosr »

Here is a better picture of the service procedureImage