Aluminum LCA weight difference verified.

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

jefferson
Third Gear

Aluminum LCA weight difference verified.

Post by jefferson »

I am finally getting around to putting my aluminums LCA's on the car due to the lower ball joints being bad and I took the opportunity to put a whiteline roll center kit on as I lowered the car about an inch when I put the 04 STI strut and springs on. The results will have to wait as I didn't know the front bushing was a different length from the STI piece and my tech didn't either so I can't put them on right now. I'm pretty excited to get this project done and see what difference it makes with the roll center kit.
I did get weights on everything before I had to put the stk. stuff back on the car. The total for the stk steel stuff was 11.95 lbs. and the aluminum total was 7.39 lbs. with a total savings of 3.19 lbs. and that is per side. The rear bushing was .64 lbs. lighter and the arm itself was 2.55 lbs. lighter which the arm is unsprung weight which makes a bigger difference. I did lighten and cleanup the aluminum arm by removing and smoothing all the casting seams that were present. This saved .03 lbs per arm, but mainly they look alot better this way.
With very close to 300,000 on the car the stock ball joints held up very well. Whiteline din't have an application for our cars, but searching on here I found everyone used the same part number that they show so I talked to them and got them to send me one. I am going to notify them that the part number works for the 1st gen. Legacies in case it helps someone else who is looking.
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
cartwheels
Second Gear

Re: Aluminum LCA weight difference verified.

Post by cartwheels »

Good work! Can't wait to hear how you like it once the aluminum control arms are installed.
2002 Impreza WRX
1994 Legacy TW
1993 Geo Tracker
1991 Legacy SS (finally got one!)
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

I think i am going to grind down the too long STI bushing in the front, but I don't have a good measurement on how long it should be. Does anyone have a accurate measurement on the stock bushing length. It would be a big help if someone did.
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
arse_sidewards
First Gear

Post by arse_sidewards »

Which bushing? The little front one that's in the LCA and gets bolted into the crossmember? I'll measure a stock arm from my pile when I get home tonight.
'93, '93 and '94 Legacy L, wagons, FWD and AWD, all are NA 2.2 w/ 4EAT.
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

Yes, that's the bushing, the one that is pressed into the LCA in the front.
arse_sidewards
First Gear

Post by arse_sidewards »

2.410"

Fair warning, I have a pretty good stash of LCAs and there's one set out of 3 that are from an '04 Forester. If that number seems way off let me know and I'll measure a different one.
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

That is the same length as the STI bushings that are in the arms. See if you have some that are shorter. It sounds like you should have.
arse_sidewards
First Gear

Post by arse_sidewards »

Sorry. I'll dig some older arms out of the pile this weekend. I think you'd be fine to just grind them down to match the crossmember. I'd be more concerned about getting it straight/flat than getting the dimension exact.
arse_sidewards
First Gear

Post by arse_sidewards »

And the answer is.... 2.150" (almost certainly from a '97 Legacy Outback not that it matters)
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

Thanks a bunch. That is just the info I need.