KYB AGX applications

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

davidnjennie
In Neutral

KYB AGX applications

Post by davidnjennie »

I have a '90 Subaru Legacy wgn with custom-built springs (about 30% higher spring rate front, 45% rear) and of course stock struts are woefully inadequate. BTW these springs actually increase lift about 1" front and 1-2" rear for increased load-carrying capability (I used to haul lots of heavy stuff fast.)

Does anyone know what KYB AGX application I should order that would fit this app. I've seen other posts with general information on others using AGX on early Legacy apps but no specific info. Looking at retailers, nobody I've seen lists early Legacy as an application for AGX. Also if someone could reccommend what top mount replacements I should go with as my Legacy has 370,000 miles on it and they are probably definitely trashed (thanks Amsoil.)

I hope somebody can help as I'm sure even more stockish KYB GR-2s probably won't be up to the task. I'm tired of the wallowing about.

Thanks everybody
90 Legacy WGN
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Well.....assuming you have AWD.....you could order a set of a AGX's for a 93 wagon.......they should work fine.

Top mounts, assuming the custom springs you have kept the same smaller dia, tapered spring at the top you need top mounts specific for that year.

The part numbers you need are

Front: (not L & R specific) ST2031055000
Rear: (Left) ST2032044010
Rear: (Right) ST2032044000

Contact adam @ Z1auto. He's the one who got me mine.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Too bad it takes 2+ weeks to get them. He doesnt keep any in stock :roll:
davidnjennie
In Neutral

How about Impreza AGXs?

Post by davidnjennie »

I found a good price on AGXs for 93-01 Impreza. Would those work for stock 90 Legacy wgn AWD? (about $385 delivered)

I had the spring maker taper the rear springs like stock. Although the spring wire is thicker than stock (and doesn't fit into strut mounts and rubber liners perfectly) the total outer diameter of the springs is the same as stock and the taper at the top near enough for a good fit into stock top mounts.
90 Legacy WGN
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Re: How about Impreza AGXs?

Post by rallysam »

davidnjennie wrote:I found a good price on AGXs for 93-01 Impreza. Would those work for stock 90 Legacy wgn AWD? (about $385 delivered)
That's a very good price. :shock:

It worked for me - I asked for the AGX's that fit my '00 Impreza RS - but I installed them on my 90 Legacy L Wagon AWD for as long as the car lasts. If you read my review in the reviews forum, you know I like them.

If I remember correctly, the KYB website gives you the same part number for all Legacy's and Impreza's model years - except '90 and '91 is missing. I think that's an oversight on their part. Maybe they are confused my the notorious 90-91 tapered spring problem - but that's completely independent of the shock fitment. :?
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Re: KYB AGX applications

Post by rallysam »

davidnjennie wrote: BTW these springs actually increase lift about 1" front and 1-2" rear for increased load-carrying capability (I used to haul lots of heavy stuff fast.)
You haul lots of heavy stuff fast? You sound like the guy in that movie "Transporter"

Sorry, now that I read your first message again, I am more worried that they won't work for you. I have heard a lot of people say that AGX does not work properly if your car is lowered too much (about an inch or more?) because it works the AGX out of it's usable range. Search the www.i-club.com forums for way too much info about their "slammed" cars. I have no clue, but maybe you would run into a similar problem if you are too high.
davidnjennie
In Neutral

Post by davidnjennie »

You're right. The part numbers are identical from different years/models I tried -- Impreza and Legacy; they just don't list all possibilities.

Well I'm going to try them I think. If the ride height is a problem, I guess I can always get more springs made with same spring rate but cut appropriately shorter. I know that even with worn-out OEM-type struts, I don't max out the strut extension 99.9% of the time (on the rebound). In fact I believe I would want to set up the struts for softer compression since I have high-rate springs but much stiffer rebound to control all that compressed energy.

Thanks for all of the input.

Would anyone out there like to comment on using a KYB top mount versus an STi or such?
90 Legacy WGN
davidnjennie
In Neutral

Post by davidnjennie »

BTW,

There are five sets of these new KYB AGX struts available for the next 11 hours at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 1872522181

They have set price $365.00 plus $18.00 UPS Cont. US.
90 Legacy WGN
Adambc5
In Neutral

Post by Adambc5 »

2 weeks to get AGX's???? More like 2 hours

as for top mounts, yes they take 2 weeks as they are special order only from Japan..we order as we need 'em

Adam
'91 BC5 Turbo, modded :)
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

I think he's referring to the STi top mounts.

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT