endlinks won't work!?

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

endlinks won't work!?

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

I have a 92 legacy turbo. i just bought some whiteline rear swaybar endlinks and they totally different than the link on my car. i am surprised to say the least, as i was told they would fit. so, i have them up for sale. in the parts shed.. thanks :o
92 Legacy Turbo \ 5MT \ Silver
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

Can you take pics of the old ones, and the whitelines? The front and back ones are different, perhaps you got sent the wrong ones...

Dave
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Front end links should look like this

Rear end links should look like this

If your stock ones don't look anything like that, you've got the older style trailing links, in which case the stock setup uses a simple drop link that the anti-sway bar connects to on one end, and is held into place by a nut and some bushings.

If you have this setup, you'd have to convert the lateral links to the newer style. If you did do that......you might want to get the MRT adjustable ones
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

If your stock ones don't look anything like that, you've got the older style trailing links, in which case the stock setup uses a simple drop link that the anti-sway bar connects to on one end, and is held into place by a nut and some bushings.
well, legacy777 hit the nail on the head. that is exactly what i have. the endlinks i got were the rear endlinks in the picture you posted. I will just live with it. besides, aren't those mrt trailing arms like $350?

thanks guys. 8)
totech
Second Gear

Post by totech »

New Subaru control arms are very cheap, worth while if you need to replace the swaybar.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Strange. I ordered the rear sway bar and the replacement control arms because I knew of this problem. When my sway bar arrived it had the correct endlinks that allow it to connect to the old style lateral links!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Ciper I believe he just ordered the endlinks, not the bar.

You should be able to get the newer style lateral links for not too much.....pick up a set at a junky yard.....should be cheap.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

OH! Well there you go. Why not just order the bar then? You would end up with not only a larger bar but new bushings on the mounts and new bushins on the endlinks.
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

Ciper, what size sway bar are you running? Just curious because I wasn't aware of any aftermarket bars available for our cars. Is it a Whiteline product?

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

Legacy777, what exactly do I have to get to do this conversion. :o

ps, anybody want these endlinks?
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

eastbaysubaru wrote:Ciper, what size sway bar are you running? Just curious because I wasn't aware of any aftermarket bars available for our cars. Is it a Whiteline product?

-Brian
Sway bars for Legacies at Teague's
http://home.att.net/~teaguesauto/suspension.htm

The Whiteline adjustables are about halfway down the page and the Cusco's are a bit further. I'm sure Adam at Z1 has got them too.

I have a Cusco adjustable on my 2.5RS and it was a great buy. With it on in the East Coast's blizzard this morning, I made more Donuts than Dunkin' did.
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

ANY Legacy rear swaybar from 95-99 fits our cars just fine, i'm running the 18-22 Whiteline on mine right now.

Dave
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

If I remember right Im using the 22mm front with upgraded bushings and endlinks then a 18-20-22 rear bar with upgraded bushings, mounts and end links.

The bar is a perfect fit on both front and rear. When upgrading the bar think about upgrading the mounts or strengthening them otherwise. The little tabs that hold one side of the bar can bend and the bar can come loose.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Aaron's ej22t wrote:Legacy777, what exactly do I have to get to do this conversion. :o

ps, anybody want these endlinks?
Well....all you really need is the back lateral link. So you'd need to get them from the junkyard.

Remove the two bolts that hold it to the spindle & chassis....which is probably easier said then done. Remove the old sway bar links.

Swap in the newer style link & new style end links......and that should be it.......I haven't done this...but it shouldn't be more then this.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

ej22t
Second Gear

Post by ej22t »

What should I have to do if I buy the STi rear control arm set and use the old swaybar?
Will they gonna fits with out any problem?

Did anyone install it yet?

Ben
92 Legacy turbo with EJ20G engine swap \(^0^)/
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Remember, overtightening the lateral link to wheel bearing housing bolt/nut will cause the wheel bearing to repeatedly fail and needing to replace the spindle. Be careful.

I suggest purchasing the MRT adjustable arms. Have you priced the rear links? When I was going through this I found the MRT ADJUSTABLE set was only 50 more than the stock NON adjustable parts. Plus you get new bushings so?